My ride tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
Are you going to do any longer training rides?

Aye, I am. I still have some work to do on the 40 mile rides to feel more comfortable on them, then I will go for some 60 and finally at least one 80 mile ride before the event. I'm not so worried about the distance, it's the hills I need to work on. So the Crow Road climb is a good starter.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I'm not sure anyone is reading this, but I'll post anyway, just in case anyone is interested and for my own records.

I did the same run again today. I had hoped to do a 50 mile run, but time was short so I had to stick to what I knew.

There was a chance of showers today, but I decided to chance it (get my Kinesis wet.... are you mad!). Unfortunately the gamble didn't pay off, and as I approached Lennoxtown the heavens opened. Things got worse when I reached the bottom of Crow Road, as the rain turned to hail! Hmmm, was it wise to go up? I decided to press on and it cleared up, as I climbed.

The bike was in the bike shop yesterday having it's new Spesh Pave carbon seatpost and a new 12-27 cassette put on. So I was hoping te ride would be easier. Uuugh! Not a chance, it was bloody hard work today. Not sure why, maybe the seat is at the wrong height... Despite this, made it up with only one stop (and avoided using the 27) and was looking forward to the descent when the heavens opened again and prevented me from seeing most of the descent!:smile:

The rest of the ride was not too bad, but certainly hurt more than last week. Average speed this time of 16.1mph. Still respectable, but a step back. Perhaps the tailwind up Crow Road had helped more than I thought, last week.

My new gloves didn't solve the problem with numb fingers, it is really annoying and is slowing me down at times. I'm also getting numbness on my left foot just around where the cleat is. New shoes and pedals perhaps? Oh and I got nipple rub today as well. :sad:

Not my best ride, but I'm glad I did it. Hopefully manage my 50 mile loop next week...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
magnatom said:
I'm not sure anyone is reading this, but I'll post anyway, just in case anyone is interested and for my own records.

I did the same run again today. I had hoped to do a 50 mile run, but time was short so I had to stick to what I knew.

There was a chance of showers today, but I decided to chance it (get my Kinesis wet.... are you mad!). Unfortunately the gamble didn't pay off, and as I approached Lennoxtown the heavens opened. Things got worse when I reached the bottom of Crow Road, as the rain turned to hail! Hmmm, was it wise to go up? I decided to press on and it cleared up, as I climbed.

The bike was in the bike shop yesterday having it's new Spesh Pave carbon seatpost and a new 12-27 cassette put on. So I was hoping te ride would be easier. Uuugh! Not a chance, it was bloody hard work today. Not sure why, maybe the seat is at the wrong height... Despite this, made it up with only one stop (and avoided using the 27) and was looking forward to the descent when the heavens opened again and prevented me from seeing most of the descent!:ohmy:

My new gloves didn't solve the problem with numb fingers, it is really annoying and is slowing me down at times. I'm also getting numbness on my left foot just around where the cleat is. New shoes and pedals perhaps? Oh and I got nipple rub today as well. :sad:

Not my best ride, but I'm glad I did it. Hopefully manage my 50 mile loop next week...
I am :smile:

Has to happen sometime - and it is classified as a 'winter trainer' ;)

Wouldn't have thought so, particularily if the rest if the ride was OK. Maybe more a fitness thing :biggrin: There was an interesting post somewhere around about the low pressure weather system apparently making things seem harder. Good excuse anyway :blush:

Gripping the bars too tightly ? One of the great TdF mountain goats used to say something about holding the bars 'as if playing a piano' or some such - ie very gently.

I get this if my laces are too tight. I have broad feet and Lidl specials have been great but I need to keep the lacing slack. Worth a try before investing in new shoes etc. :smile:

Before or after you got home ? :biggrin: You should be so lucky :ohmy: :sad:

Keep at the miles, Mags, it gets easier ! I have done 3 Saturdays of 100km rides - and it's not such a big deal now. Actually, I feel that, if I don't do 100km during the week, ... well I haven't had a 'decent' ride :ohmy: You will soon be there too. The Trosachs Ton is not to be feared - you are well able to do it, you just need to BELIEVE you can :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Ah! My reader! :biggrin:

No rides this weekend. :biggrin: Family stuff getting in the way. How dare it! :blush:;)

If I get a chance it will be the 50mile ride next.

I certainly beleive I can do the 100 miles. I'm not the sort to give up, so I'll keep going to the end. I'd just like to do it whilst avoiding a follow up triple heart bypass! ;)

Good man. It's time to start making small changes and leave it a ride or two to see if it makes a difference. Move the cleat forward/back a few mm and try it. Similiar with seat and handlebars. Not sure about this Median nerve thing, could be grip might be position. If you hold your arms out in front of you, hands in holding hoods position and just twist your arms and hands about you should feel the most natural position and when you move out of it you'll feel a bit of tension in your arms. You've got to match that up to your brifter/handlebar position (I made that technique up but it works for me, I get numb hands on flat bars because my arms don't like that position, hence I use bar ends).

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I actually managed another 40 miler yesterday, at the last minute (fortunate change of plans). Glad I did as it was a nice day for the ride (despite the poor weather forecasts). Dry all the way round, with a moderate easterly wind (hindered on the way out, helped on most of the way back).

It's still hard work, but I'm enjoying the challenge. I'm still not managing Crow Road without stopping (at the view point) but I'm only having a short stop now for a quick drink and to catch my breath, and then its onward and upward.

Average speed yesterday was 16.0mph. Down again a little, but I think the headwind on the way out kept the figure down and I generally felt stronger than last week. I managed to hit 40.1mph on the way down Crow Road! ;)

Fingers were still getting numb, although I managed it a bit better, shaking the hand every once in a while. I still need to get it sorted. I was paying attention to the amount of weight etc I place on the hands, but I don't think I I place too much. I think it is the vibration that is the problem. Some of the roads I am on are a bit rough and rattle the bike a bit and I think that is when it gets worst. So I think better padding on the bars and gloves is required.

Foot was better with the shoe loosened. Still a little numb, but not as bad. No nipple rub this time, I opted for a plaster! :blush: I can feel my hamstrings on my right leg today. I suppose that is a good thing as it shows I'm doing some pulling up on the pedals.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Another training run today (tracked on my new HTC Magic mobile phone, cool phone!). I had intended taking in Tak Ma Doon and Crow road today. However, the weather, cold, wet and a strong easterly put an end to that. That and the fact that I lost a full energy drink bottle half way through meant I decided not to take on Crow Road. Todays ride hurt!!:becool:

However, not a bad training run anyway. 49.3 miles, moving average speed 15.71mph (damn wind and rain!), average speed (including stops, i.e. where is my drink bottle!?) 14.79mph, maximum speed 35.8 (a lot lower than the last time at 48.8!).

The best bit was that I didn't stop at the top of Tak ma Doon, I just kept going. Progress.

The worst bit is that my bike fiddling (oo-er) hasn't solved my numb fingers problem. I am lothed to change too much leading up to the 100 mile ride, so I think I'll just have to cope with it.:biggrin:

Only 2 weeks till the ton. Yikes!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Relax, Mags, you'll do the ton nae bother.
I've just completed the Mearns Meander 160k audax - my first - and longest distance in one go. We had about 15 people altogether, well strung out - and I still made it. You are usually further up the road on the CC rides, you'll have lots of people around on the day - and the extra motivation of the fund-raising aspect.

You'll be right :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Well done! :sad::biggrin:

I've just had a look at a bikely of the Mearns Meander and it looks like there is a serious hill in that (plus some other bumps!) Any stats, or would it be all messed up with cake stops!? :smile:

I'm not really worried about it. I am looking forward to it. (I'm just trying to build some tension to get more sponsorship!:smile:)

Now I've got my new phone (with a backup battery), I am planning to track my adventure. In fact, I think I can set up live tracking if anyone is interested! That way, my wife can know what time I'll be home for dinner....hopefully! :smile:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
magnatom said:
Well done! :smile::rofl:

I've just had a look at a bikely of the Mearns Meander and it looks like there is a serious hill in that (plus some other bumps!) Any stats, or would it be all messed up with cake stops!? :biggrin:
Thank You :blush:
Stats from my questionable cycle 'puter:
170.48km; 8hrs 02:53; avg 21.2kph (I prefer Km to miles - they sound better :smile:) Total climb - 1419m; Total Descent - 1416m, which must be the wrong way round, as there was definitely a further 2m descent as I slid off the bike at the end :blush:. Going over Cairn o' Mount after Banchory was a challenge, successfully accomplished :biggrin: - then I found my steerer on the front fork was very 'heavy' - seems the grease in the bottom bearing wisnae there any more, so the whole thing was quite hard to turn. Not the best time to find this out, with a 14% descent ahead ;). (which reminds me- must check the brake pads :smile:)

I tried not to spend too long at the Controls/cake stops but should have made an extra stop to top up my water bottle, as I was running on empty for the last hour or so. Not too nice. Then I missed the turning in to the finish and did an extra 500m or so .... which I didn't need then :sad: (but looks great on Cyclogs :biggrin:)

Then I stayed around and did the Potter for Tea 100k on Sunday, with Noodley and Satan's Budgie

Today, I am resting :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bravo!! :smile::rofl:

You should start your own thread with this, mostly tumbleweed in here! :blush:

The slide off at the end sounds interesting! ;):blush:

Enjoy the rest!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

With the Ton safely out the way I thought I would get another 'training' ride in today. As the legs were probably still recovering from the Ton I decided to go for my 40 mile Crow Road route.

It was a bit breezy (eastery about 10-15mph) which slowed me up early on. However, it helped a bit getting up the steepest part of Crow Road. My days of stopping here are now over :ohmy:, and I managed it relatively easily. Unfortunately some nasty cyclist decided to glide past me on the climb while cheerfully saying 'good morning'. Barsteward! :blush::bravo: I'm improving, but there still is a long way to go....obviously!

Anyway after Crow Road the tailwind got me moving and I soon upped the average. As I got closer to home I noticed that my average was looking good, so I upped the pace to see what I could manage.

16.6mph! :ohmy: Well chuffed with that as it is my fastest for that route yet.

There were plenty of other cyclists out and I even managed to overtake one! :smile:

Top Bottom