my road cycling story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone
this is my story
i took up road cycling July 2015 orders of the doctors ,i was told to lose some weight 14.5 stone starting weight as i was heading in the wrong direction in my life.so wifey took me to my local halfords & bought my 1st road bike or (racer) .i started in July 2015 advice given from friends who cycle to start of doing small rides & slowly build it up to bigger rides.i gave my daughter the carrera & bought a wilier then didn't have enough gears so sold that to a friend & bought a giant defy 1 then bought my 2nd bike 13 ultegra.i thought i was fit enough & trained hard then went onto do a charity bike ride for St marys hospice 9 riders on 23/24 July 2016 did the coast to coast Walney2Whitby 162 miles in total & raised just over £7500 for a good cause it was worth all the pain we all went through to finish the ride.i went into my local bike shop Topmark & put a deposit down on my 3rd bike Giant Tcr adv pro 0 after that i had a hernia repair & on the 5th December 2017 im having keyhole surgery to repair a faulty valve but manage along the way to get my weight down to 11 stone ready for Tuesday .i live in Cumbria not far from the lakes district i often go out on my own or go out with the groups on Wednesdays & Sundays rain or shine i just love getting out on my bike & finding new places to go to & love them or hate them find them hills along the way.

arch684

Veteran
Hi everyone
this is my story
i took up road cycling July 2015 orders of the doctors ,i was told to lose some weight 14.5 stone starting weight as i was heading in the wrong direction in my life.so wifey took me to my local halfords & bought my 1st road bike or (racer) .i started in July 2015 advice given from friends who cycle to start of doing small rides & slowly build it up to bigger rides.i gave my daughter the carrera & bought a wilier then didn't have enough gears so sold that to a friend & bought a giant defy 1 then bought my 2nd bike 13 ultegra.i thought i was fit enough & trained hard then went onto do a charity bike ride for St marys hospice 9 riders on 23/24 July 2016 did the coast to coast Walney2Whitby 162 miles in total & raised just over £7500 for a good cause it was worth all the pain we all went through to finish the ride.i went into my local bike shop Topmark & put a deposit down on my 3rd bike Giant Tcr adv pro 0 after that i had a hernia repair & on the 5th December 2017 im having keyhole surgery to repair a faulty valve but manage along the way to get my weight down to 11 stone ready for Tuesday .i live in Cumbria not far from the lakes district i often go out on my own or go out with the groups on Wednesdays & Sundays rain or shine i just love getting out on my bike & finding new places to go to & love them or hate them find them hills along the way.
Well done and good luck with your surgery

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum. What a great story. You did well with the weight loss and I’m sure you’re feeling all the fitter to cope with the surgery.

Slick

Guru
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting the weight loss under control. As already noted, that's going to stand you in good stead for your up and coming surgery. Hopefully your not off the bike too long.

wisdom

Guru
Hi everyone
this is my story

What a belting story.Well done in fact very well done.Good luck with the surgery but take it easy and follow advice.

TonySJ

Regular
Well done and get your health back under advice of the doctor first, Ive recently joined and had keyhole for Crohn's this year and I've found it hard to get my fitness back. Doctors advice is take it easy and build up. Good words of advice those..
T

OP
OP
dodg3

dodg3

just a quick update
6.5hrs keyhole surgery(GORD)360 repair kept in hospital ward for 3 days (2 drains,1 cavater,1 nose,throat tube)then allowed home with happy pills & told to take it easy not allowed to do anything ,swollen right across the belly button with 5 small wounds healing up nicely ,just started gentle exercise today back on my spin bike doing 3 mins just building back my legs back up ,only allowed to have liquid or puree meals 2-3wk period then slowly build up to solid food but on the plus side i feel a lot better & cant wait to get the bike out for a rideout.

Top Bottom