My saracen tour flat bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
DSC_0186.JPG
Evening all, just thought i'd post some pictures of my bike.

It started off life as a drop handlebar road bike, i think the frame is a 2008. I bought the bike just after christmas from gumtree and im realy pleased with it so far.

Ive done little bits to it like fit my bottle cage, pump, lights, rack bag and bar ends. Just need to upgrade the gearing a little bit.

Having had loads of bikes through the years, some expensive, some not so, i have to think this is the best bike ive had...... And all for £140 ! :thumbsup:

Please dont laugh because i ride a saracen :unsure:
DSC_0187.JPG
DSC_0185.JPG

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO

It started off life as a drop handlebar road bike, i think the frame is a 2008. I bought the bike just after christmas from gumtree and im realy pleased with it so far.

Ive done little bits to it like fit my bottle cage, pump, lights, rack bag and bar ends. Just need to upgrade the gearing a little bit.

Having had loads of bikes through the years, some expensive, some not so, i have to think this is the best bike ive had...... And all for £140 ! :thumbsup:

View attachment 79096 View attachment 79097

Nowt to laugh at! Looks a versatile and sturdy machine that you could go just about anywhere on.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel

That's so mad! My first road bike was a metallic red Saracen Skyline steel touring bike (a 2009 that I bought from a mate for £200). It has been lying around unloved in the garage for years since I bought my first brand new bike, so I wanted to give it a new lease of life. I'm currently also in the process of having it converted to flat bars and also giving it similar gearing componentry to my other bike so that they become inter-changeable for parts. I have added shiny metal mudguards and bottle holders just like you!

This is a "before" shot". I'm not yet ready for an "after" shot, but hope it looks half as good as yours when it's finished:
Avon Gorge cycle ride.jpg

OP
OP
Jamieyorky

Jamieyorky

Veteran
That's so mad! My first road bike was a metallic red Saracen Skyline steel touring bike (a 2009 that I bought from a mate for £200). It has been lying around unloved in the garage for years since I bought my first brand new bike, so I wanted to give it a new lease of life. I'm currently also in the process of having it converted to flat bars and also giving it similar gearing componentry to my other bike so that they become inter-changeable for parts. I have added shiny metal mudguards and bottle holders just like you!

This is a "before" shot". I'm not yet ready for an "after" shot, but hope it looks half as good as yours when it's finished:
View attachment 79105

Looks nice, i bought the bike as a flat bar so cant say how much it costs, but if the bike was a drop bar i wouldnt have looked at it ( also ride a felt z85 ).

The bike is my commuter, tourer and family bike. I love how it rides and feels so stable but as quick as my road bike.

Good look with your build and dont forget to post some pictures !

Drago

Legendary Member
I have a 19 year old Saracen in my fleet. It's just been updated with new wheels, dynohub and a spangly powder coat job. Not particularly quick, though the gearing helps. Otherwise very comfortable, very capable bridleway basher.

OP
OP
Jamieyorky

Jamieyorky

Veteran
I have a 19 year old Saracen in my fleet. It's just been updated with new wheels, dynohub and a spangly powder coat job. Not particularly quick, though the gearing helps. Otherwise very comfortable, very capable bridleway basher.

I would like a dynamo hub, already fitted the front light!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Looks nice, ......
Good look with your build and dont forget to post some pictures !
Ta dah! Meet "Big Red". (So called by its previous owner beacause it is big.....and it is red. The name just stuck).
26 Restored Big Red 17 Feb 2015.jpg

Refurb now complete, except for the chrome toestraps I have on order and am getting bored waiting for. I've spent ages stripping it down and cleaning it, and I've fitted various new chrome bits and miscellaneous parts. I then cheated and used my LBS for the big stuff. Striking Bikes have now fitted new flat bars, shifters and brake levers, along with a new seat post and a 9 speed chain and cassette. They had already previously re-built the rear wheel with extra strong spokes. All the major componentry is now completely inter-changeable with my Ridgeback No.1 bike now, even down to an identical computer programmed for the same wheels/tyre size.
27.jpg

I've also got new Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (700x28) and Slime inner tubes on it.
28.jpg

All in all I've spent over £300 on the refurb, having bought the thing for £200 in the first place. Could have bought a new bike for less, but then I'd have had to make that one perfect too. I just liked the idea of rescuing a faithful but dull old bike that was languishing unloved in the garage- and giving it a whole new lease of life.
29.jpg

Not bad for a 17 year old bike, I reckon. Maiden voyage due tomorrow. can't wait. Cheers, Donger.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
image.jpg
Here is one of my Saracen bikes. I have owned it since new way back in 1990/1. It is now my go anywhere touring and shopping bike. I built it like this as I was planning an end to end ride. I was all ready to go and then got a job so couldn't do it.

It is very comfortable as the fashion back then was to have a shortish top tube and a huge long stem. The original stem on this bike was 150mm and zero rise! The stem on it now is an Alsop Softride that dates back to the dawn of bike suspension. I have it to try and protect my wrecked shoulders.

It is one of the couple bikes I wouldn't get rid of.

OP
OP
Jamieyorky

Jamieyorky

Veteran
Ta dah! Meet "Big Red". (So called by its previous owner beacause it is big.....and it is red. The name just stuck).
View attachment 80133
Refurb now complete, except for the chrome toestraps I have on order and am getting bored waiting for. I've spent ages stripping it down and cleaning it, and I've fitted various new chrome bits and miscellaneous parts. I then cheated and used my LBS for the big stuff. Striking Bikes have now fitted new flat bars, shifters and brake levers, along with a new seat post and a 9 speed chain and cassette. They had already previously re-built the rear wheel with extra strong spokes. All the major componentry is now completely inter-changeable with my Ridgeback No.1 bike now, even down to an identical computer programmed for the same wheels/tyre size.
View attachment 80134
I've also got new Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (700x28) and Slime inner tubes on it.
View attachment 80135
All in all I've spent over £300 on the refurb, having bought the thing for £200 in the first place. Could have bought a new bike for less, but then I'd have had to make that one perfect too. I just liked the idea of rescuing a faithful but dull old bike that was languishing unloved in the garage- and giving it a whole new lease of life. View attachment 80136
Not bad for a 17 year old bike, I reckon. Maiden voyage due tomorrow. can't wait. Cheers, Donger.

Ill have to give it to you, that is one fine looking bike. I wish i had built mine fron scratch, knowing that id built it how id like it. Lucky for me id probably had built mine how it is.

teddydove

View attachment 79098 Evening all, just thought i'd post some pictures of my bike.

View attachment 79096 View attachment 79097
This my first proper bike,solid as you like
:-)

Top Bottom