My Season is over

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fuzzybuddha

fuzzybuddha

4 months of the year left. Plenty of time. I was back cycling gently within 4 months of breaking my spine, and almost two months were bed rest.
Sadly where I am at in the US, around late October/early November, the weather here gets very cold. 30*F (-1*C) and lower, with very cold winds and snow. Not good for biking. In addition the length daylight is shorter by a lot of hours, meaning it is generally only sunny when I am at work. At night the temp plummets. Add to the fact that people are terrible at driving in the day time, they are even worse at night.

Thank you all for your well wishes, I hope for a speedy recovery and able to do better next year.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sadly where I am at in the US, around late October/early November, the weather here gets very cold. 30*F (-1*C) and lower, with very cold winds and snow. Not good for biking. In addition the length daylight is shorter by a lot of hours, meaning it is generally only sunny when I am at work. At night the temp plummets. Add to the fact that people are terrible at driving in the day time, they are even worse at night.

Thank you all for your well wishes, I hope for a speedy recovery and able to do better next year.

Turbo or off road with lights. Love sub zero temps for riding... Ice tyres if icy

fossyant

What we are trying to say is there isn't a reason to stop once the initial recovery is done. Docs will advise. Get lights and suitable clothing. Cycling is an all year round activity.

vickster

Legendary Member
What we are trying to say is there isn't a reason to stop once the initial recovery is done. Docs will advise. Get lights and suitable clothing. Cycling is an all year round activity.
I have to say, I don't willingly cycle when it's below freezing, but that isn't to say it's not feasible (and presumably not every day is that cold)

I think the OP has said before that he doesn't ride October-March due to the weather anyhow, so he was only going to ride until end September. Could wait until winter properly sets in before having the op (I've ridden thousands of miles with knackered meniscii!) Winter is the best time for orthopaedic surgery / rehab...I should know :rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
The colder it is, the happier I am on the bike. The disadvantage of being big is that I have less surface area in relation to my volume, so struggle to shed heat like a small weak person would.

si_c

Guru
Sorry to hear about your knee, I've been off the bike for a month after breaking my wrist, it's irritating to say the least.

I'd definitely suggest a turbo trainer for the winter if you want to keep your fitness up and the weather is not great for riding. Depending on your budget you can get them quite cheaply for a basic wheel on, add a tablet and Netflix to stop yourself going postal.

Spending more and adding a Zwift subscription is worth looking at if you decide to go down that route.

fossyant

The colder it is, the happier I am on the bike. The disadvantage of being big is that I have less surface area in relation to my volume, so struggle to shed heat like a small weak person would.

I wouldn't call Cavendish small and weak !

Top Bottom