My second clipless moment....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MisterStan

Label Required
...happened to me on my commute this morning less than 200 meters from my office - couldn't unclip for the life of me and now have a nasty bruise in my groin area plus a little road rash.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Couldn't unclip? Sounds terrifying. Are your cleats damaged?

daSmirnov

Yeah it's not good is it, esp the first moments when you realise what's about to happen, think I'll wear the HR monitor one day just so I can see the massive spike...

I had a near clipless moment, in front of a queue of cars and lots of spectators on Monday. Couldn't get left foot out, ending up kicking out so hard to release it I started leaning to my right...... AHHHH saved at the last second but not without bouncing around a bit making a fool of myself. Might upload the video at some point as you could see my shadow all the way through it lol.

Worse thing is when you've clipped in without realising it. I often silently clip in when in stop-start traffic so I've gotten into a habit of checking every now and then.

one of my cleats became loose the other day which makes them impossible to release. I've had it happen before so I should've known. 3 falls, a bloody knee, a sore elbow later and me stripping the screw and plate threads my foot was finally free.

the last time it happened was going up the Wrynose pass fully loaded when I'd lost one of the screws on a 'scenic route' over 4x4 type terrain. A mix of pushing with one shoe dangling from the pedal and some pedalling, it finally came free just as I was toppling over. Luckily I have touring pedals with flats on one side just for this type of eventuality

Top Bottom