My sofa's in a sorry state... can I replace the cushions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I once got a small local upholstery firm to cut a piece of dense cushion foam to shape with a chamfered front edge, for me to use in the car. The guy cut it using an electric carving knife - useful insider tip if you want to have a go at making your own replacements.
Thanks... love the idea of doing it all myself. I knew the electric carving knife would come in handy for something, it's useless on both meat and bread, but i'll have to master the sewing machine too. There used to be a foam stall on Lancaster market but haven't noticed it for a couple of years. I've already looked into making the cover templates, which looks straightforward enough. The tricky bit is putting it all together. I guess I could ask my mum.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks... love the idea of doing it all myself. I knew the electric carving knife would come in handy for something, it's useless on both meat and bread, but i'll have to master the sewing machine too. There used to be a foam stall on Lancaster market but haven't noticed it for a couple of years. I've already looked into making the cover templates, which looks straightforward enough. The tricky bit is putting it all together. I guess I could ask my mum.
Make sure that the foam is fire-retardant!

colly

Re member eR

As regards the foam, just slamming a block of foam inside your covers won't really work. Foam is very 'grippy' and surprisingly abrasive and it tends to grab the fabric of the cushion cover. You might get them in with a struggle but in use the cover will creep about all over the cushion. It would probably wear very quickly from the inside too. If you do cut your own foam it's best to line it with sheet fibre or stockinet, preferably both. That allows the cushion cover to move across the surface of the cushions without grabbing.
I won't go on for ages about what to bear in mind because I have to go out but if you need any tips for cutting and sewing give me a shout. If the cushions have piping you'll need a piping foot for the sewing machine. You will also need some continuous zip which if you buy it in short lengths can be expensive. Once you know what lengths you need I can post you some.:okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I once got a small local upholstery firm to cut a piece of dense cushion foam to shape with a chamfered front edge, for me to use in the car. The guy cut it using an electric carving knife - useful insider tip if you want to have a go at making your own replacements.
Did he time travel back to the 1980's to find the electric carving knife?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If you're really going to try, here's another tip. Make your first attempt using an old duvet cover or something, not the real fabric. I think you'll find it's nowhere near as easy as it looks.
the sewing bit won't be... making the templates is what looks straight forward to me. My previous attempts with a sewing machine have failed at the tension setting stage... not really got beyond that. But it was a very old Jones machine with a retrofit electric motor that needed rewiring. sorted that but just couldn't get the tension correct. I do have another machine which I'm yet to try. The foot keeps falling off it but i reckon I'll be able to fettle it back on so it'll stay on. Then i can fail at the sewing bit :smile:

Adam11

I had a similar issue. Just had some new foam sofa cushions made up and replaced them myself as the covers were still fine. If you need new covers though, you'll probably want to get in touch with a local upholsterer. :smile:

Top Bottom