My stolen bike is on Gumtree for sale!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
My bike was stolen few months ago. Today I found it advertised on Gumtree. I am absolutely certain that it is my bike as it has very distinct features from my attempts at repairing it.
What should I do?
Call the Police?
Contact Gumtree?
Have someone contact the seller for you, and ask about it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My bike was stolen few months ago. Today I found it advertised on Gumtree. I am absolutely certain that it is my bike as it has very distinct features from my attempts at repairing it.
What should I do?
Call the Police?
Contact Gumtree?

Let me know the advert and i will contact the seller and ask a few questions . if you have proof and positive then contact the police and watch nothing happen

Drago

Legendary Member
Call the Feds would be the correct answer, but it'll likely be sold before any meaningful response occurs.

I'd go see it with a large associate or two, and then if its yours I'd call the police while bike and seller are both still present

PS, do you have a link to the ad? PM me with it if you'd rather.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Call the Feds would be the correct answer, but it'll likely be sold before any meaningful response occurs.

I'd go see it with a large associate or two, and then if its yours I'd call the police while bike and seller are both still present

PS, do you have a link to the ad? PM me with it if you'd rather.

Ditto this. Unfortunately if it was local to me West Yorks Police wouldn't be bothered helping.

Go get it back ...

Last edited:
My Brompton was nicked in Bow, East London where I reported it straight away. It popped up on Gumtree in Cambridge about a month later and The Met actually went and felt the collar of the aunt/fence of the scrote who nicked it and retrieved it. I had to go and reclaim it, with nothing but a couple of photos and a description of a scratch on the BB shell as proof of ownership. Oddly, the station I had to go collect it from was on Buckingham Palace Road, completely the other side of London - couldn't fault the service though :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My Brompton was nicked in Bow, East London where I reported it straight away. It popped up on Gumtree in Cambridge about a month later and The Met actually went and felt the collar of the aunt/fence of the scrote who nicked it and retrieved it. I had to go and reclaim it, with nothing but a couple of photos and a description of a scratch on the BB shell as proof of ownership. Oddly, the station I had to go collect it from was on Buckingham Palace Road, completely the other side of London - couldn't fault the service though :smile:

They deserve a pat on the back for sure

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Do bear in mind that the person selling it may well have bought it off Gumtree himself and has no idea it is stolen.

If I can help. I am in Denmark and the seller is not likely to suspect that I have any connection to the bike. I can always suggest I get a "Friend" to call round and view the bike for me.

Top Bottom