My stolen bike is on Gumtree for sale!

Discussion in 'Stolen Bikes' started by midliferider, 27 Dec 2017.

1. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

My GF saw her bike on gumtree , gumtree we're not to helpful , and the police said there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute the person who placed it on
    gumtree , many years ago a friend of mine had his DVD robbed , he found it being sold at a second hand stall on Oldham market , the police were involved and could not do anything ,
    It's a legal flaw ,
    in Australia , as I remember it , if you could prove the item was yours and been stolen , you got it back ,
    which in itself was a deterrent to thieves and buyers of dodgy goods

Illaveago and classic33 like this.
  2. did you get your bike back?

3. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

no , cops said not enough evidence, shame it was a nice Cube , was my GF 's
    , incidentally , I had my Surly knocked off last year and a stroke of luck I got it back some months later , no cops involved ,

classic33 likes this.
  4. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Well-Known Member

From memory, if you retrieve your stolen goods without violence then they're yours...

5. You can be accused Chris but you are correct you can only steal "Property belonging to another".

Milzy likes this.
  6. The argument for recording your frame number, changing it enough to make it identifiably yours and taking photographs of it.

ADarkDraconis and classic33 like this.
  7. robrinay

robrinay Active Member

I had a Dahon folder stolen in Nottingham a few years ago I immediately reported it to the Police and then drove around the Cities second hand shops. I saw the thief on the bike riding towards one of them, overtook him leapt out and grabbed the handlebars growling “My bike!” He nearly wet himself with fear , said he’d found it then legged it. I rang the Police with his description and the location as there were video cameras. With the exact science of hindsight I realised I might have been attacked or stabbed/slashed as he was obviously a fairly desperate druggie on his way to make enough cash for a ‘hit’ but at the time I didn’t think much beyond the adrenalin rush and consequent anger at seeing him on my bike.

MarkF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice