My stolen bike is on Gumtree for sale!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
My GF saw her bike on gumtree , gumtree we're not to helpful , and the police said there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute the person who placed it on
gumtree , many years ago a friend of mine had his DVD robbed , he found it being sold at a second hand stall on Oldham market , the police were involved and could not do anything ,
It's a legal flaw ,
in Australia , as I remember it , if you could prove the item was yours and been stolen , you got it back ,
which in itself was a deterrent to thieves and buyers of dodgy goods

did you get your bike back?

robrinay

I had a Dahon folder stolen in Nottingham a few years ago I immediately reported it to the Police and then drove around the Cities second hand shops. I saw the thief on the bike riding towards one of them, overtook him leapt out and grabbed the handlebars growling “My bike!” He nearly wet himself with fear , said he’d found it then legged it. I rang the Police with his description and the location as there were video cameras. With the exact science of hindsight I realised I might have been attacked or stabbed/slashed as he was obviously a fairly desperate druggie on his way to make enough cash for a ‘hit’ but at the time I didn’t think much beyond the adrenalin rush and consequent anger at seeing him on my bike.

MahatmaAndhi

About two weeks ago my mate had two bikes stolen from his garage (they were both locked up to a metal shelving unit which they sheared through). I saw one of them on Gumtree and Facebook, a bright orange Specialized hybrid with a few distinctive changes to the saddle and pedals and a very suspicious dent on the frame.
He called the police and they said that he would have to arrange to meet the guy and declare in person that the bike was his and stolen. Then "the guy will either run or wait for the police to protest his innocence."
My mate decided against the citizen's arrest as there was a hidden third option of potentially being stabbed.

It's shocking that the police would even suggest that he go and approach the thief/fence himself and put himself in such a volatile situation. I really dislike how the police are managed and funded. I have nothing against police officers generally, but Cambs Constabulary is stretched so thin that crime can only go one way because there appears to be no consequences.

ozboz

Guru
About two weeks ago my mate had two bikes stolen from his garage (they were both locked up to a metal shelving unit which they sheared through). I saw one of them on Gumtree and Facebook, a bright orange Specialized hybrid with a few distinctive changes to the saddle and pedals and a very suspicious dent on the frame.
He called the police and they said that he would have to arrange to meet the guy and declare in person that the bike was his and stolen. Then "the guy will either run or wait for the police to protest his innocence."
My mate decided against the citizen's arrest as there was a hidden third option of potentially being stabbed.

It's shocking that the police would even suggest that he go and approach the thief/fence himself and put himself in such a volatile situation. I really dislike how the police are managed and funded. I have nothing against police officers generally, but Cambs Constabulary is stretched so thin that crime can only go one way because there appears to be no consequences.

The police are not to interested in stolen bikes , but I am surprised they advocated putting him in harms way doing their job ,

alicat

Legendary Member
From memory, if you retrieve your stolen goods without violence then they're yours...

Yes, the bike is still yours so go view it and claim it back. That may involve being quite assertive so it could be good to take a friend. There was a thread on here a while ago where somebody successfully got their bike back.

Top Bottom