My story, + training to race?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanPrice

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong section and moderators please move as necessary.

Bought my new road bike last week (Focus Culebro 2008) as im looking to hopefully get in to some road racing. I do have some road riding background as i used road to aid base fitness for my chosen discipline of cycling, BMX racing.

I raced BMX competitively for 3 years nationally, going on to internationally and rode for the GB olympic team for a year and a half.

We trained with the youth road team on the road and track in various places in the UK and in Europe a couple of times, whilst watching them race in Belgium. Which was a real eye opener for me.

At the end of last season i decided to start my career elsewhere and learn a trade, so gave up training full time.

I was happy with what i had achieved in BMX, #1 in UK, British champ etc and thought id go on to bigger and better things.

I always enjoyed road riding and was told a couple of times by the "roadys" that i wasnt too shabby on the road or track (power was my strong point). So after taking 8 months off of any type of riding i thought, hey why not give road a go.

Anyway enough oy my life story, what i was wanting to ask was:

Shall i join a club? What shall i expect? (im based in Bristol)

What ways are best to train to get in to racing? (just go out on the road for aslong and as hard as i can)

What kit shall i buy? (dont want to buy Focus kit, and everyone call me "a wannabe")

And anything else you think i should know?

Thanks all, hope i didnt bore you too much

gavintc

Guru
I am not the ideal man to advise you as I am simply a reasonably keen 'fitness level' club cyclist and have not raced. However, from my knowledge of the club scene, you will gain tremendously from being a member of a good road club. But, choose a club with a focus on racing rather than leisure. I know from the Edinburgh RC that there are excellent training activities throughout the week for the road race team linked to coaching and race prep. I also know from friends who race that there is more than just getting the miles in. Technique, strength and sprint ability are all elements that you would not necessarily get from regular riding. Good luck and I hope you maximise your potential.

Will1985

Über Member
If you have power, why not time trialling? Slightly more accessible and regular than road racing with plenty of courses all over the country.

OP
OP
D

DanPrice

I have been told by a few people time trialling would be the best way for me.. Although when you say its more accessible what do you mean by that?

I was thinking there were no roadys in/around bristol as i think in the past 2 weeks and in the past on those gruelling long rides i think ive seen 2/3 people max.

Is there anywere i can find out what clubs are good/bad, were they are, if its got alot of time trialists etc?

Thanks all

Will1985

Über Member
What I mean is that if you chose the road racing route, you have club runs every week, but the opportunity to race is probably less than if you were to time trial where you could enter an event every week (or more often!).

Of course, this all depends on your area as well - I don't know much about the south west, but certainly over in the east it seems like there are very few road races during the year unless you travel long distances.

Your CTT district is West, so the codes begin with U. http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18586 shows the routes of some courses, and it looks like there are a few fast ones down your way.

yenrod

From my experiences Dan this is the deal as far as I know.

1st off go out on your own and ride about 1 hour 4 times a week, for weeks on end.

Then, do it for 2 hrs.

You can vary this.

Then on Sunday's go out with a road club..this's is why you do the miles on your own!

Then, once you've braved the winter and all its grimness - you can start doing the chainy's: in the spring.

These give you speed and edge.

Come the summer - next, you'll be flying: big time

yenrod

Clothes wise buy a couple of pair of shorts, some long length leggings, 2 full-on thick winter tops, say, 3 spring like tops: long sleeve - they have a soft inside on them and are good for spring/cool rides. The full-on stuff for REALLY cold days.

A couple of short sleeve tops.

Some GOOD gloves.

Some GOOD hats.

Some peaked roady caps - good for keeping the heat in!

Some neoprene overshoes.

2 pair of cycling shoes - in case one gets wet ! and the others aint dry :?:

You could add some arm-warmers or leg-warmers to this also but not essential.

You can get apparell which isnt linked to trade teams - plain jersey's or not so plain, just without an 'advert' on them.

Others, im sure will post other essential items to get / adivce !

One golden rule: If you can hold your own and do some serious training by yourself then riding in a bunch will be no worries

kyuss

Veteran
Hey Dan, hope that Focus is as good as it looks.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, are you looking to be successful at national or international level, or even get picked up by a continental or pro tour team, or are you just looking to be successful in your spare time? Are you happy to keep your current job, or would you eventually like to make a living from cycling? You're young and you've already shown a talent (I googled your name and you're probably the most successful cyclist on here) so success at an international/professional level isn't out of the question if you work hard, unlike most of us old farts who are happy to enter our local TT's and knock out a personal best.

I think focussing on TT's might be the wrong move. As far as I'm aware nobody ever got a job in cycling from good TT results, they all have to prove themselves on the road or track. There's nothing at all wrong with being good at TT (nothing better than beating a PB) but when you're young why not be the best you can be?. Like gavintc says, I think your best bet might be to find yourself a good club with a focus on proper racing. If you get yourself a few good results chances are you'll get spotted then succcess could be yours. If it doesn't work out you've got years ahead of you to focus on TT'ing.

Track is also a very good place for ex-bmx'ers. In fact this might be your best bet for world domination:biggrin:. All those fast twitch muscles used for sprinting are totally interchangable with track racing. Look at Chris Hoy and Shanaze Read.

I reckon you should get in touch with these guys. They look like they are organised enough to give you a bit of direction.

walker

Hi Dan, as you may of already figured out, Road cycling uses different Energy paths to that of BMX. Your best bet is to get out with a club and see how you fair over longer distances and raising your areobic levels up as you will have great Lactate energy Levels from your quick Sprinting BMX Racing.
I would advise getting a normal road bike, give it a try as you can always Buy clip on bars for that and try TT at the same time. If you feel the need or want to take TT a little more serious then you can save up for a true TT bike.

As for track, yes you would clearly be excellent as the transition from BMX is quite easy.
you can try Track at your nearest curcuit for a small fee, including rental of a bike. I'm sure a young man like you should have enough contacts to get some freebies or some cheap or free hand me down's for you to try all disaplines.

Good luck mate, hope you stick around here and extra luck for the future, Hope to see you represent the UK again

domtyler

Über Member
Be careful which club you join, you want to surround yourself with people who are used to winning. Find out the details of your local cat 3 & 4 road races (local = be prepared to travel up to fifty or sixty miles very early on Sunday mornings to the start). Look up the past results for those races and note which clubs are consistently seen in the top positions. After more research you will have identified your club.

Top Bottom