My Summer projects: A Tale of 2 Kuwaharas...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Astore

It's been a while since I've posted, so here's what has been keeping me busy. While trawling eBay in search of inspiration I stumbled across a 22.5" Kuwahara Hirame frame which seemed very cheap, I'd liked the look of these and heard good things, so I took a punt and bought it for £30. I carried on surfing and found another complete bike (21") in fairly sorry condition but with a lot of nice parts, also very cheap, so I bought that too with the intention of making one bike out of the two.

The frame:
gCavNU3.jpg

The Bike, which looked to have spent a fair amount of time outdoors:
5PEeGuf.jpg

Once I had both at Astore Towers, inspection of the frame revealed a very stuck seat post and equally stuck chain set. So with some application of patience, moderate heat and penetrating oil I managed to shift them and get the frame cleaned up, degreased, polished and waxed. The quality of the paint and chrome on these frames is very, very good and it came up superbly well.

The donor bike came apart without a fight and provided a 36 / 50 Nervar Chainset, CLB Brakes and levers and Ambrosio handlebars and stem. I had planned to use the Suntour SVX derailleurs too, but decided to use a Suntour BL GT set I had instead, as the SVX wouldn't cope with the 13/32 Shimano freewheel I aquired late in the build.
g4LfyMv.jpg

The donor bike also came with a set of 27" wheels, Ambrosio rims and Normandy hubs, which I used for another project. For this build I used a set of 700c Araya / Suzue hub wheels I had lying around; really just to have more clearance and a better choice of tyres. My plan was to build a slightly more rugged road / path bike.

Some new cables, bar tape, tyres and tubes and some mudguards finished it off. I had planned to take it over to Cumbrae to ride the coastal path, but didn't manage that this year. However, it has seen some action round the mean streets of rural Argyll over the past months and, while it's not the lightest of frames, it is beautifully smooth. It's become a bit of a favourite. It's definitely a keeper.

NSNwfSJ.jpg

TFFKLWW.jpg

So, what happened to the donor bike? Well that got a makeover too. I had initially thought the frame might be suffering from its stay outside, the paint was in a very poor state, but after stripping it down and removing the paint, it proved to be perfectly acceptable, so it was re-sprayed in metallic purple, received a new set of decals and was rebuilt almost entirely from my (now depleted) store of parts. Just the wheels, mudguards and seat post were bought specifically for the project. My plan is to ride it a bit, the it will be auctioned in aid of the RNLI in the spring.

wGZOEVk.jpg

T8NKtex.jpg

oV5W763.jpg

RFqNcy5.jpg

TaQCmty.jpg

1V4qQI1.jpg

siKfikK.jpg

1N6Rrnh.jpg

mQ01LVI.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Never heard of Kuwahara Hirame before but they are certainly nice bikes. Where were they made?
Purple one is lovely, particularly with the snazzy matching (well almost) bar tape.

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

Never heard of Kuwahara Hirame before but they are certainly nice bikes. Where were they made?
Purple one is lovely, particularly with the snazzy matching (well almost) bar tape.
Kuwahara are Japanese, perhaps best known for their BMX bikes (Elliot rode a Kuwahara in E.T.). The Hirame was sold as a frame only in the UK by Evian Cycles. My two are dated 1983. There were about 4 different frames of varying spec and colour available, mostly made using Ishiwata tube. The build quality is really first class.

Gillstay

Über Member
I had a worn mountain bike, Kuwahara from my brother that I used to ride to work on. Then toured on it. Then my daughter took it to Uni, left it out in the salty Cornish air for 4 years. Then my son took it for another 3 year stint to Uni, then to work, then through the weeks of neglect due to working the covid wards. Plus late night crashes, two up tumbles, and daft escapades.
Then last year he gave it up. I rebuilt it and sold it, easily. Smooth, good geometry and it lasted. Impressed.

Tebb1t

I had a Kuwahara mountain bike back in the 90s. Good bikes.

OP
OP
Astore

Astore

Quick update: The purple Hirame has now gone off to a new life on Bute and a suitable donation will be going to the RNLI as a result.

The red one has received a bit of an upgrade during the long Winter nights and is now sporting a Stronglight Impact 28, 38, 48 triple chainset and cartridge bottom bracket. So hopefully, even my weedy old legs should manage to propel it up the hills out of my village. The Suntour Blue Line derailleurs are coping admirably with the extra load.

gsL4Xet.jpg

i3ZAT8W.jpg

WHZ28El.jpg

Top Bottom