my take on a rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nuovo_record

well i have the nuovo record, but when a super mistral was heading for the greta scrapyard i couldn't resist - much to my wife's displeasure!
it's 1974 and chromed on the rear. the front forks weren't original and the chrome was poor and were for 700c wheels. i managed to get a tange pair for a fiver that are for 27" wheels.
as i have no cash, i will try and paint it myself.....but i have campag gransport chainset, wheels, cinelli bars and stem.
cyclone rear mech etc....got some alhonga deep drop brakes tp replace the odd pair or weinmann's....so here goes!

asterix

Comrade Member
The Mistral is definitely a classic and worth restoring IMO.
See under 'models': http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nkilgariff/

A distant in-law to my British Eagle Touristique that will be back on the road in the autumn!

OP
OP
N

nuovo_record

fossyant said:
how long did that take to srtip the paint - good job so far.

it's taken about 10hours made up of half an hour here and there. unfortunaltely i can't afford to powerdercoat it, so i will use a rattle can....but take my time and it should be more respectable than it was (black hammerite)

holdsworth dropped the amount of chrome on the models until it disappeared altogether.....this frame was made in 1974, crashed in 78 (has a slight ripple to the tube) and now it's with me so i know the history

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
montage said:
Won't paint from spray cans just fall off?

No.
Not if you actually do it right.
Even if you did it wrong, it will still pretty much stay on, but will look shoot.

OP
OP
N

nuovo_record

i plan on giving the frame several light layers of primer, then a few layers of the colour (rubbed with wet and dry between coats) final coat, take the gloss off and then lacquer it...hopefully it should come out ok

to be honest the amount of time i have spent removing the old paint, i think that i should wait until i have enough money to get it powdercoated!
maybe take a month or 2 though....

Top Bottom