My thing....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atb

Do you use 16" or 17" wheels?
I've heard 17" on f frames makes quite a difference.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

being a traditionalist I have 16 inchers on it, more aerodynamic as well :smile: I am using Primo tyres at the moment as they seem to roll ok and are pretty light, no good in the winter though, puncture city baby :sad: Marathons for the grim weather.

As for rolling, it out rolls quite a few of my mates bikes down hills when we have coasting races... might be the weight but some of their bikes are quite heavy as well..

wafflycat

bonk man said:
27ymsm9.jpg
[/IMG]

In Boxing Day time trial mode.....I managed 18 mph on this over a slightly undulating course..... I still feel ill:biggrin:

Most excellent! I like it! xx(

I say this because at a club The Unfit Family used to be members of, there was a club 10 on Boxing Day every year and it was *supposed* to be a fun thing. Folk known to turn up and do it in fancy dress and the like. So the year I got my recumbent trike, WCMnr did the Boxing Day 10 in it. Wearing full CSC kit, and aero lid... :smile: Everyone got the joke apart from the club grumpy old fart who *insisted* on making the point that should that *thing* (she said pointing disdainfully to the recumbent trike) ever be entered for any other event, she would make sure we were thrown out. She really was a prize nasty bit of work.Needless to say we didn't remain at that club too much longer.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

The sillier the bike for a Boxing Day 10 the better..

I did one many years ago, a 2 up with Carl Hackles [ anyone remember him? really good rider ]

..we dressed as urban guerillas, trench coats, army boots and balaclavas.. the bikes were a single speed posties bike and a 3 speed very sit up and beg 1930's with the full chain case and guards... nearly did evens, and won a Mars bar for best fancy dress.. The hardest time trial I have ever done :biggrin:

wafflycat

bonk man said:
..we dressed as urban guerillas, trench coats, army boots and balaclavas.. the bikes were a single speed posties bike and a 3 speed very sit up and beg 1930's with the full chain case and guards... nearly did evens, and won a Mars bar for best fancy dress.. The hardest time trial I have ever done :biggrin:

Most excellent!

bottlemsher

Über Member
quote wafflycat
/Everyone got the joke apart from the club grumpy old fart who *insisted* on making the point that should that *thing* (she said pointing disdainfully to the recumbent trike) ever be entered for any other event, she would make sure we were thrown out. She really was a prize nasty bit of work.Needless to say we didn't remain at that club too much longer.

so which club was that then waffly

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

yeh .. might give it a go :biggrin: might well do the Gospel Pass audax on my new one...it is a very nasty Mk3 Moulton :biggrin: Hammerite Green mmmmmmmm been out on it today, hard work....

2hnukx2.jpg
[/IMG]

Valy

Is that a front suspension I see? :S

ALso - was the woman one of the "people in charge" in that club?

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Valy said:
Is that a front suspension I see? :S

and rear suspension :biggrin:

I used this on a reliability last weekend, 50 miles and really hilly, managed to haul it up a 1 in 5 out of Tenbury Wells without getting off, 2hrs 53mins, that was seriously quick compared with a similar ride the week before on almost the same route, 20 minutes faster in similar conditions.. must be getting fitter:biggrin: or just adjusted to the handling of the bike. It is really good for descents, 40mph at one point and not a wobble.

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Valy said:
Holy shoot! There IS rear suspension as well.

Have you done any DH races?
th11861431125071.png

I was considering doing a bit of off road but the wheels are so small they get stuck in holes.... the forks are also a bit flimsy looking so might well just bend. Bridleways and towpaths are usually ok.
Might try a bit this summer though, the local hills are pretty ridable, I would have to lower the gearing to cope though, 48 tooth chainring and 17 tooth sprocket with the 4speed Sturmey should be ok.
Downhill on the road it is quick, aerodynamic and the suspesnion irons out the tarmac so it feels smoother than with a normal bike. It also weighs a ton:laugh:

Valy

bonk man said:
I was considering doing a bit of off road but the wheels are so small they get stuck in holes.... the forks are also a bit flimsy looking so might well just bend. Bridleways and towpaths are usually ok.
Might try a bit this summer though, the local hills are pretty ridable, I would have to lower the gearing to cope though, 48 tooth chainring and 17 tooth sprocket with the 4speed Sturmey should be ok.
Downhill on the road it is quick, aerodynamic and the suspesnion irons out the tarmac so it feels smoother than with a normal bike. It also weighs a ton:laugh:

I see. I was kidding about Dhing though. As in proper downhill rides. ;) What does the rear suspension consists of? Is it a rubber ball or something?

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Yeh, its a simple rubber ball, fairly hard. The earlier ones had a simpler rear fork and a wedge of elastomer, it was softer but the bikes were better, less weight on the rear end, these later ones have more metal work.
21b7xcn.jpg
[/IMG] illustrates what I mean..

Top Bottom