My Thorn Cyclosportif

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
P6200173.jpg

this is my Thorn Cyclosportif.

i knew i'd never race but wanted a ride that would take me on good day rides, Audax and the like and that i could even do a short tour (C2C?) but that would still be light enough to let me enjoy the core of my riding, i.e. approx 2 hours out on the lanes of the southdowns east of Winchester. I was loooking at the Giant SCR1 as that could take a rack and dreaming of a Van Nicolas or a Thorn, both about the same price. i saw on the Thorn Website that they had a shop soiled cyclosportif about £400 cheaper than list. Went over to Bridgewater 'just to have a look' and brought it on the spot. It was my 40th Birthday present to myself. The bike had never been ridden. it's been ridden alot now though:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Windy

Oh and this the bike i started riding on last year commuting 15 miles round trip to work, loved it so much started to ride for fun:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

DSC00129.jpg

Windy

ash68

smart bikes windyrob,which one you using for commuting now. thorn would be good as it has guards on, but would you rather keep it for good?See you chose a triple chainset,must admit I'd have done the same, gives a good selection of gears and a few bail outs for those extra steep climbs or when the miles start to catch up with you.Couldn't see what groupset you have on, is it 105?

9 speed 105. when the weather is nice i use it to commute especially if i fancy coming home the long way via Old Winchester Hill. The guards came off once the summer was over and we got some nice weather;). And i have race blades on the Orbea.

The triple has been great. The first Audax ride i did was on the Orbea and i was riding with a small group all on triples, i kept running out of gears whilst they always seemed to have at least three in hand, that did it for me when I started thinking of a new bike.

the difference in ride between the two bikes is amazing, the orbea was ok up to about two hours and after that it all started to go a bit numb, two weekends ago i spent about 6 hours on the Thorn and still felt relatively fresh, save for some tired legs, 5 hours round the Isle of Wight plus the ride to and from the ferry in southampton. glad i had the triple - lots of short but very sharp hills.

Windy

Top Bottom