My thoughts and attitude towards winter cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My attitude to winter cycling is not that much different to summer cycling, save for the risk of ice in winter. Essentially, if it's dry-ish out and not too windy, I'll ride a bike whatever the time of year. If it's chucking it down with rain, wind blowing enough to be unpleasant, icy under foot or snowing, the bike stays off the road and I either travel by other means or don't go out at all. I take the view cycling should be enjoyable, not some sort of masochistic activity to be suffered!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My attitude to winter cycling is not that much different to summer cycling, save for the risk of ice in winter. Essentially, if it's dry-ish out and not too windy, I'll ride a bike whatever the time of year. If it's chucking it down with rain, wind blowing enough to be unpleasant, icy under foot or snowing, the bike stays off the road and I either travel by other means or don't go out at all. I take the view cycling should be enjoyable, not some sort of masochistic activity to be suffered!
Fair weather cyclist! ;) Riding in waterproofs or over ice with studded tyres is enjoyable. If it's raining, I'd need some waterproofs to get from station or parking to the destination anyway, so I'll cycle. If it's icy, travelling by other means seems even more dodgy and not going out at all isn't always an easy option if you work. Fair point on wind blowing, but as long as it's 40mph or below, it's manageable and it might be a tailwind at least some of the time.

12boy

Guru
Studded tires are great for ice but stout wind, especially when gusty, can move you over a couple of feet or even knock you down. Coupled with ice it is fairly dangerous. A strong headwind can give the privilege of a climbing workout while going down hill.

:smile:

That statement made me think of a pretty miserable ride last year riding fully loaded south west across the Fens last year to catch a train at Peterborough. If I ever go back to that neck of the woods I'll make sure I'm going north east.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's fine if you have the luxury of a nice desk job where you can sit down for the next 8 hours and recover from your exertion riding to work. Try that when doing a real physical job and you might not be so blasé about it.
Done it. Used to be 250 miles over 8 shifts on a four day weekend.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
For those who don't do winter cycling, Tuesday was great and you should have been out

Only about 5 degrees but very little wind and nice and dry. It's easy to stay warm if you cycle hard enough. Sweat was dripping off my nose on the main climbs. Really enjoyable, as much fun as a nice summer's day

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Did about 20 miles in the dark. Would have been further but the bitingly cold headwind sapped our energy going out. Still, any night ride a week before Christmas is a bonus.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
:smile:

That statement made me think of a pretty miserable ride last year riding fully loaded south west across the Fens last year to catch a train at Peterborough. If I ever go back to that neck of the woods I'll make sure I'm going north east.
Plenty of east and north east winds here. I feel the best plan is to have a backup route that avoids hitting the wind head on so much, but of course that's longer.

rivers

How far can I go?
I took my motorbike in yesterday. I was regretting that decision less than halfway to work. The wife picked me up in the car as it was too cold to ride it home. Cycled in today, it was about -2. Really pleasant ride, comfortable and warm from about 10 minutes in. It's why I cycle in the winter

pjd57

Veteran
Wrapped up well and went out this afternoon.
I knew I would be coming home in the dark and guessed it would be colder.
It wasn't. It actually felt a bit warmer .
Really mild evening in Glasgow.

No way would I put my bike away for winter.
Sometimes the weather in " summer" is worse.

Top Bottom