My thoughts on GRX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With the new Genesis CDA 30 recently added to the stable, I have had some miles now to consider what GRX does for me, an occasional commute, and leisure rides this year, maybe some touring in the future.
As I’m lucky enough to live near the South Downs, and along the coast, I have mixed surfaces, and gentle rolling hills to venture onto, and I’ve never been one for full on MTB’ing, but have had (chosen) to cycle On chalk, mud and flint, often on hills, as well as many roads too, including dual c/ways during my commute.
I was excited to see that this CDA30 has GRX, as I thought it would aid my various routes, and I’m glad I have it.
Although I haven’t actually had a chance to ride up onto the downs yet, it will be a while before I can say definitely that the low gearing which 2x10 will give me is suitable for hills, and more to the point, off road hills.

I’ve just had a 14 mile jaunt over road and gravel, albeit flat terrain, but I’m pretty sure the GRX will allow me to pull up some pretty steep one.
Today I managed around 22 mph with a gentle downhill, and an average of 13mph including canal towpath with people around and some muddy conditions.
All using the big front ring, never in low.
I would probably struggle to spin out on the 46, as I’m not a speed demon, but I think the 36/34 will be good for me.
If your in the market for a sub £1k gravel bike, you could do a lot worse.
I should add that I bought the Large, and at 5’ 11” it’s fine for me.

Attachments

• 4BCEC2A5-BD1B-4B92-A2CE-09E408872189.jpeg
    4BCEC2A5-BD1B-4B92-A2CE-09E408872189.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Top Bottom