My thoughts regarding electronic gismo's on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big T

Guru
On my recent tour of the Scottish western isles, I had no phone signal for 6 days. Phone was still useful for the occasional wifi hotspot to check the weather forecast, but I didn't miss not being able to make or receive calls or texts.

I had a Garmin 200 for recording my rides, but navigated by paper maps.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I used to take a mobile, a camera, a few books and an mp3 player.
Now I take a smartphone with the Kindle app and some music on it, and maybe the tablet as well as posting using a smartphone keyboard is a little wearing. Still navigate with maps, though. Navigation is the thing I really don't want to suddenly stop working.

Danny

Legendary Member
I have a complete set of printed maps for my forthcoming 4000 mile tour - they cost more than the Etrex 20 that I own. I'm sending my butler ahead of me to waymark the junctions to minimise navigational errors.
Presumably you are taking a trailer for all the maps.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have a bar mounted Cateye computer which is handy for knowing how far I have travelled, also a basic GPS which I use mainly for finding my tent or hotel/hostel in the dark after an evening of pubcrawling exploring the local area, but don't carry a smartphone iPad or tablet. Although not obsessed by the fear of theft, I would consider the safekeeping of electronic gizmos to add more stress than they are worth. I've never been lost for very long and usually find some friendly person keen to help me get back on track.

sidevalve

Über Member
Depend on the lectronics untill it gets pinched /loses signal / gets broke [and we are talking about touring here, possibly long distance - not a days ride out]. Maps are not a great thief target, you can sit on / stand on / drop them [even ride over them] and they never lose a signal or run low on batteries. Keep a cheapo mobile phone handy for emergencys maybe - but totaly depend on it - no

I lament the passing of 1:250000 Travelmaster series of maps. Luckily I still have my old ones for most of the UK places I go.

I lament the passing of 1:250000 Travelmaster series of maps. Luckily I still have my old ones for most of the UK places I go.

Same here, for cycle touring within the UK that series was great, ticked all the boxes as far as i am concerned.

ditto - I have a full set in the bottom drawer of my filing cabinet - any road that has been since they were printed I would probably not want to cycle on anyway

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've not done any touring but I like to think I'd do it in the way I did my holidays of old. Ferry from Dover to the continent on day x, ferry back booked on day y. Everything in between was as took my fancy but I used to nearly always head to Germany by train. No phone. Walkman and a book.

I can't abide navigating through a tiny window of a smart-phone screen. I like to see the context and surroundings. I think smartphone nav will change the way young people picture landscapes and routes.
I am still waiting for large, flexible, rollup, low power screens

Polite

Über Member
Yes, you are old fashioned and, it seems, quite judgemental, too. I like to cycle and camp and I love nothing more than camping in a municipal camp site in France (often in the best locations) not just because of cost but because it is my way of letting go. There's nothing I enjoy more after a day's cycling than to lay out my map flat and see where I'm going and where I've been.

However I also like to have technology at hand, be that access to creature comforts like the internet or a cycle computer to record what I've done.

I have also bought a Kindle yet I still find it difficult to read a book unless I have a copy in my hand, that doesn't mean I don't think the Kindle is amazing.

Each to their own is what I say.

At least people on here are cyclists and, in my opinion, generally the friendliest type of person to bump into.

I sometimes find myself somewhat confused with the modern way of thinking by potential cycle tourist these days. On one hand they seek advice with regard to touring in the cheapest possible way. Then a few posts later they are seeking advice on buying all the latest electronic gismo, for navigation and comms, the total cost for these items are often into some hundreds of pounds.

In some cases more than the cost of the proposed tour if it is just a short few days that is proposed.

I appreciate that I come from a older era, where we toured both at home and abroad with just paper maps, and in the days international phone calls had to be booked a few days before, so a tour outside the UK meant we disappeared from our families until our postcards arrived from distance parts to tell them we were still alive at the time of posting.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not anti modern Electronic gismo’s I have my GPS and my Mobile phone,

I just worry that potential cycle tourist seem to worry too much about venturing out on tours feeling naked if they don’t have all the gismo’s. Any thoughts?

contadino

Veteran
When I was a kid we weren't allowed to go anywhere without a 2p so we could call home from a phone box in case of emergency.

Now there are no longer any phone boxes, I wouldn't go far without a phone in my pocket.

My phone contains maps, routing, tracking, etc on it all for free. For me waste would be having multiple gadgets that do the same thing.

screenman

Legendary Member
Being self employed I like th fact that I can still earn a few bob whilst not being at work, so the smart phone for me. Sat Nav for the car I manage fine on the bike without guidance apart from sign posts.

Top Bottom