My tips for cycling in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I’ve never had any hassle when riding in France, from any kind of vehicle, only once had an elderly bloke pull out in front of me and he was very apologetic and no harm done, even HGV’s stay back as you negotiate roundabouts and give you a nice wide berth as they pass.

yello

on the right they have the department symbol and number, the actual reg number doesn’t give any clue as to where it comes from now

Interestingly (or maybe not) you can have any department symbol/number you like. Or none at all.

DRM

Guru
Interestingly (or maybe not) you can have any department symbol/number you like. Or none at all.
I suppose it would depend on where the car was purchased, for example if you bought a car whilst living in Poiteau Charentes it should be a 17, but if it came from a dealer in the Vendee it could be an 85, or 33 from Aquitaine, much as in the UK if I bought a car in the Leeds Registration area it could be YA to YK, pick it up from Hull it could be YT to YY

yello

I suppose it would depend on where the car was purchased

What I meant was that you can select whatever department you want. I can go online or into the equivalent of Halfords, show them my reg document and have a plate made up bearing the logo and dept no. of any department I choose (so long as they have it in stock obviously!)

I might live in Paris, with my car registered to my address there, but I could still have a number plate bearing the Corsican logo and dept no. A car we bought last year had the neighbouring Haute-Vienne logo/number on the plate and there was no obligation to change it. We did, but only to avoid confusion at the local rubbish tip! (where 'foreigners' are not allowed)

DRM

Guru
What I meant was that you can select whatever department you want. I can go online or into the equivalent of Halfords, show them my reg document and have a plate made up bearing the logo and dept no. of any department I choose (so long as they have it in stock obviously!)

I might live in Paris, with my car registered to my address there, but I could still have a number plate bearing the Corsican logo and dept no. A car we bought last year had the neighbouring Haute-Vienne logo/number on the plate and there was no obligation to change it. We did, but only to avoid confusion at the local rubbish tip! (where 'foreigners' are not allowed)
I was assuming the car dealer would supply the car with a local identifier on it, but the tip scenario makes sense, so it would make sense to fit the local identifier for your home department

I've not noticed and to be perfectly honest, I've no idea but I'd certainly say it was possible.

It is very obvious in all the holiday locations I've worked as everyone who turned up was always in a 60 department reg car. I'd forgotten they'd changed the format away from an identifier, did they change the number plate colour requirement at the same time?

yello

did they change the number plate colour requirement at the same time?

Another good question! I don't know :laugh:

I associate the old plates with being black and white, and newer ones as white and... whatever they are... but I've no idea what the actual regs on it are! Funny isn't it - you live with these around you on a daily basis but can't actually bring the seemingly obvious to mind when you want to! :laugh:

RichardB

Slightly retro
I associate the old plates with being black and white, and newer ones as white and... whatever they are...

Squeaking of which ... I have noticed in France that most reg plates are black and white but some are red and white. Anyone know the significance of this?

Squeaking of which ... I have noticed in France that most reg plates are black and white but some are red and white. Anyone know the significance of this?
Red plates are temporary new registration I believe.

Spacer

Regular
Hi, great to read these posts. I've lived in France for 32 years but only recently started bike touring here. Last summer I did a 10 day jaunt from Atlantic coast downwards to Bordeaux area then inland to the Cevennes and a little past them. I mixed camping in campgrounds with a few airBnB and wild camping. The wild camping was by far the most fun, but mostly because I speak fluent french and asked permission- (so maybe it isn't technically "wild camping"?). Anyhow people were super nice, never got refused, was offered a few meals and I had awesome spots- especially in the plateaus east of the Cevennes and in the mountains themselves. Municipal campgrounds were great- a lot cleaner and nicer than 30 years ago! And they serve craft beer now! ; ) Its rare that there isn't a place for a lone or two cyclists.
I never tried a camper "aire".. I'd not really want to, but I suppose in a pinch one might have to. About the priorité à droite: it's a real subject, mostly because one is rarely faced with it- so when you are, you're taken by surprise - especially in my view when arriving in a small town after being alone all day on country roads. The only negaative thing I'd say (but it's not specific by any means to France) is that there have been agressions (and worse) of cyclists. Maybe just run-ins with the wrong people, but a spanish fellow was murdered last year in the Rhone Valley..I never once had any fear, but my sense is you gotta be smart in general. I would never camp in anything but an official campground or on private property with permission anywhere near a fairly densely or densely inhabited area. Certain areas in the south of France seem sketchier potentially- Rhone valley, the Var, the Medit coast. This could be because of high tourist populations and many secondary country homes left alone, but common sense will def keep you on the safe side. Bonne route! - Peter

EverRed

Regular
I'm planning to tour in South Western France late May and early June. Do I need to book campsites ahead? I prefer not to have a pre determined schedule but I don't mind booking ahead by a day or two. Also, I would book further ahead for locations I really want to visit (as yet undetermined spots in Dordogne and Pyrenees).

jay clock

Massive member
I'm planning to tour in South Western France late May and early June. Do I need to book campsites ahead? I prefer not to have a pre determined schedule but I don't mind booking ahead by a day or two. Also, I would book further ahead for locations I really want to visit (as yet undetermined spots in Dordogne and Pyrenees).

no. you should be fine. but personally i always phone ahead to check (am French speaker by upbringing which helps!). You are more likely to have a problem that they won't open until for example, 15th of June or even first of July. But most should be open.

Top Bottom