My turn for an off.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Cheers all :blush:,

The Ibuprofen is working it's magic.

Am I right in thinking that if no injury is sustained (I don't think there is) then I can just deal with his Insurance company myself? If it's just a new wheel and rack then I'm looking for around £80.

magnatom said:
What happened?

Just passing a road junction and the driver drove into my back wheel instead of stopping. Simple really, glad I was going uphill at the time and he wasn't going very fast.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
longers said:
Cheers all :blush:,

Am I right in thinking that if no injury is sustained (I don't think there is) then I can just deal with his Insurance company myself? If it's just a new wheel and rack then I'm looking for around £80.

Just passing a road junction and the driver drove into my back wheel instead of stopping. Simple really, glad I was going uphill at the time and he wasn't going very fast.

If that's all the damage, then you most certainly will be on your own as its considered a small claims matter. Insurance companies are swine as all they will care about is minimising their exposure. As I've said many times before on here, think of it like a business deal rather than a crusade for justice. Be prepared to make yourself a pain in the bum, because the insurance company will only pay out if they calculate that the time spent dealing with this is going to cost them more than a reasonable payout.

If you're a member of the CTC, they provide a small claims pack to help you sort these things out - its nothing that you couldn't find out on the interbob, but at least it saves the trawl on google.

A solicitor won't be interested as you can't get legal costs for small claims (so you'd have to pay the solicitor yourself - win or lose) and having separate representation is frowned upon anyway if it got to the small claims court. If you are injured, even if you think its minor, then the claim can rise to a point where it passes the small claims limit (£1000 from memory). That's when a good solicitor really comes into their own. Make sure you ARE ok by visiting a quack ASAP.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Cheers for that answer Bollo, made it very clear for me.

Bollo said:
Make sure you ARE ok by visiting a quack ASAP.

Maybe tomorrow after I've slept on it and can work out what's pain from yesterday and what's pain from today. Might have no pain tomorrow :blush:

ChrisKH

Guru
longers said:
Cheers all :biggrin:,

As Bollo said. This has happened to me in the past (minimal damage to me but lots to bike) and I successfully pursued his insurance company and they paid up in full. You do need to be a pain in the ass; I originally phoned a guy's insurance company and at first they would have nothing to do with me "as we only deal with other insurers" (bollocks basically). Just ask them for a claim form and point out you may or may not pursue a PI claim but would much rather deal with them direct. They'll be happy to settle for such a small claim I'm sure. Don't forget the new light and gloves that also got mullered when you fell off. :blush:

longers said:

Pretty obvious who was at fault there! Fingers crossed that you get it resolved quickly and that you get better soon.

Here is a mildly amusing youtube clip to help ease the pain....:blush:

yenrod

Crackle said:
Get well, echo everyone else's advice. Actually i can't believe you cycled into work after the big Audax this weekend.

Eh Crack; Longs was a Professional' in another life !!! ;)

Ive never met anyone who can do what he can ! - distance'wise on a bike.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks again for kind words. I think I'm pretty much ok, no harm done. I bounced quite well.

Bike is being assessed - I gave it a good clean before I took it to LBS I reckon it needs new wheel, new rack, new rear mech, new front light, new gloves (thanks for reminding me Chris :rolleyes:) and hopefully that's all.

Just spoke with the lad and he wants to pay for the damage himself. Fair enough.

Did have a difference of opinions with our apprentice. He thinks I should be inventing whiplash and claiming for it - "because everyone else does". :biggrin:

longers said:
Thanks again for kind words. I think I'm pretty much ok, no harm done. I bounced quite well.

Bike is being assessed - I gave it a good clean before I took it to LBS I reckon it needs new wheel, new rack, new rear mech, new front light, new gloves (thanks for reminding me Chris :rolleyes:) and hopefully that's all.

Just spoke with the lad and he wants to pay for the damage himself. Fair enough.

Did have a difference of opinions with our apprentice. He thinks I should be inventing whiplash and claiming for it - "because everyone else does". :biggrin:

Mmm. Wanting to pay for it himself might be the good guesture that it seems...... or he doesn't have insurance. I beleive there is a website where this can be checked.... just ASKMID....:biggrin:

Top Bottom