My two scalps, if you can call it them.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I'm talking about holding circa 24mph down a <1% gradient, kinda easy to hold someone's wheel, then dropping to around the 20mph area on a similar sort of incline, a lot harder to hold someones wheel as it's not just the wind resistance they're pushing against.

GrasB

Veteran
User3143 said:
Overtaking motor vehicles travelling within 10% of the speed limit is an automatic scalp.
Q. what's overtaking learner scooter riders under supervision going up hill?

I've built up quite a bit of good will with 3 of the instructors. Confuses the hell out of the students when I let lose down the hill though :rolleyes:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
automatic_jon said:
Gaz said:

Isn't commuter racing supposed to be a sport, so be sportsmanlike.

Wish the gent this morning knew that as he partially "overtook", swung in at me, realised I was there and then proceeded to sit on my outside leaving me no where to manoeuvre and thus riding me through a pot hole. I did eventually shout "give me some room!" :smile:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Matt - You're a 31 year old male who is proud of scalping a young girl on a flat after drafting her up the hill. Then you have the audacity to come onto a web forum and share your moment of joy??

Shame on you! (Tut Tut)

dondare said:
I get a bit fed up with the ones who pedal fast uphill then coast down it.

Why not, it's the hills that slow you down the most, pedalling down a hill fast won't make up for a slow climb

dondare

Über Member
drsquirrel said:
Why not, it's the hills that slow you down the most, pedalling down a hill fast won't make up for a slow climb

Because I pedal downhill myself and I don't like having to overtake someone who has only just overtaken me. I'm not trying to catch them up but that's what it seems like.

NigC

dondare said:
Because I pedal downhill myself and I don't like having to overtake someone who has only just overtaken me. I'm not trying to catch them up but that's what it seems like.

I second that. I always pedal down the hills (well, there's only 2 of them anyway). Quite a few times this seems to have initiated a commuter race when all I was doing was my normal ride ;)

Of course, my rule for commuter racing is somewhat different to most: It's only a race if I win - anything else and I wasn't actually racing :troll:

GrasB

Veteran
Matthames said:
I left her for dust, she probably couldn't pick the pace up like I could as her legs must of been in agony from climbing out of the saddle.

Moral of the story: The best way to climb hills is to remain in your saddle and go down a few gears and spin.
Try again! The difference for me between honking up a 5-10% incline at 50rpm & spinning up at 100rpm in terms of pain is erm... nothing. It's all about my speed & HR, the higher those 2 are the more painful it is & those are related to my power output not my cadence.

More people are drafting me now which is a good thing means I am recovering from two years of loss of form.(Illness or something)

potsy

Rambler
hackbike 666 said:
More people are drafting me now which is a good thing means I am recovering from two years of loss of form.(Illness or something)
Or you're getting wider so they can't overtake so easily:rofl:

manualtypist

Matthames said:
First one was a pavement riding RLJer. She came barrelling past me on a red light, which soon changed to green and then mounted the pavement. I made gains on her and we were soon climbing a 14% hill. To climb the hill she got out of her saddle instead of changing down and spinning like what I did. I was almost next to her all the way up the hill. As it levelled out she changed up a gear, sounded like the cable needed adjusting as it was skipping around in the middle gears. I was still on her back and decided to just go for it. I left her for dust, she probably couldn't pick the pace up like I could as her legs must of been in agony from climbing out of the saddle.

Moral of the story: The best way to climb hills is to remain in your saddle and go down a few gears and spin.

Second scalp was on my way home. Electric bike plodding into the wind at 17 mph. I see it in the distance and I see that I am making gains on it. Put in a bit of extra effort and pass it at about 25 mph. Reach the lights at the bottom of the hill (The same one as the first scalp) and never see him again.

Ah...this is such typical male commuter mentality...be it on bike or in a car! Was she even trying to 'scalp' you?
Sorry to sound so angry...I'm not, just to let you know, but I have a bone to pick with everyone who does this!

Happens to me so a lot. I am a not particularly fit (read...totally unhealthy) little female. I will, at certain points of my commute, pick up speed and go faster thereby overtaking other cyclists...then...naturally...I run out of breath and slow down.
Some cyclists I overtake will then scalp me, turn back and grin in the most childish way possible! It's just petty...and they are usually male...completely clad in lycra...clearly fitter and healthier than myself and (usually) on much better bikes made for going at speed (I ride either my hybrid or ancient Raleigh racer (?)...oh and I'm usually in clothes unfit for cycling in, like dresses or skirts)!

Can you see what I'm trying to get at here?
Where is the fun in scalping someone who really doesn't give a shoot and probably won't try and scalp you back and most probably cannot anyway?

Once again, sorry, this isn't a personal attack on you...just a general venting of frustration.

Top Bottom