My vegetable casserols are improving each time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
This one was by far the best. Bear in mind I like it thick.....I do not like it watery.
Any veg you have. This time I used potato, leek, carrot, onion, celery and some ginger.
3 oxo cubes for the stock.
Hendersons Relish.
Bit of pepper
Pinch of salt
Worcester sauce
2 bay leaves.
Into the slow cooker for the day.
Towards the end I thickened it with a heaped tbsp corn flower and a level spoon of gravy granules.
Bootiful.
Next day we had what was left with chips & bread n butter.

ozboz

Guru
That sounds good !
only thing I would change is the stock , we always use chicken stock from chicken carcass , Boil carcass with garlic , ginger a few fresh herbs or whatever you have or fancy ,

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
That sounds good !
only thing I would change is the stock , we always use chicken stock from chicken carcass , Boil carcass with garlic , ginger a few fresh herbs or whatever you have or fancy ,
Ii fully agree but 2 problems.......
We seldom have a whole chicken as we tend to cook chicken breasts.
For some strange reason MrsD gaggs at the thought of boiling a chicken carcass for stock. A quirk she has had all her life.

vickster

Legendary Member
That sounds good !
Not going to be very vegetarian though is it ;)

(ok neither is worcestershire sauce, but it's fine for a 'pescatarian' like myself :smile: )

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not going to be very vegetarian though is it ;)

(ok neither is worcestershire sauce, but it's fine for a 'pescatarian' like myself :smile: )
TBF I never said it was vegetarian....just vegetable casserole.
Plenty of other options for flavour and thickening but this hit the spot for me.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've never bothered putting stock in a veg stew or casserole... but cabbage is always an essential ingredient to give it a peppery edge. Any excess juice gets drained off and frozen and used for a gravy base at a later date :okay:

ozboz

Guru
TBF I never said it was vegetarian....just vegetable casserole.
Plenty of other options for flavour and thickening but this hit the spot for me.

I never read into your recipe as being vegetarian tbh , I would never had used chicken stock from a carcass until an Italian Lady introduced me to her home made minestrone soup ,

Tenkaykev

Guru
Magic stuff is hendo's they do flavoured crips too :wub:
Vegan friendly too unlike the inferior stuff from Worcester.

I remember listening to a comedy series on the radio a few years back. That featured Hendersons as one of the main plot lines. The son had moved to "that London" and was trying to get his mum to send him some. There was an export ban preventing it being shipped outside Yorkshire ( I may be misremembering parts of it, but that was the gist)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@tom73 .
I put another veg casserole on this morning (at 06.30 no less:rolleyes:)
I sent this recipe to my son who introduced us to it.

Load of veg.
Hendo relish
Salt pepper
Hendo relish
Few spices
Tomato purè
Hendo relish
Knorr stock
Worcester sauce
Hendo relish.

He thinks it needs more Hendos relish.

pjd57

Veteran
I've been doing veggie casseroles and stews for many years. No recipe , just whatever needs to be used up.
Only fairly recently tried adding a couple of spoonfuls of lentils into the mix.
It really helps thicken it up. Soaking the lentils first speeds up the cooking process

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've been doing veggie casseroles and stews for many years. No recipe , just whatever needs to be used up.
Only fairly recently tried adding a couple of spoonfuls of lentils into the mix.
It really helps thicken it up. Soaking the lentils first speeds up the cooking process

Totally agree, we've been trying out different types of lentil, very underrated as a high protein food source. We're recent converts to Hendersons relish, adds lovely piquancy to a Veggie casserole 👍

Top Bottom