My very first cycle touring in South Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JBTinEU17

Regular
My very first cycle touring plan ended with a misfortune in South Europe – and still
I can’t help wondering how come a great country which is famous for its Tour de France would produce
a bicycle thief and allow it to steal almost everything from a foreign touring cyclist ?

I think I will always remember this very bad encounter that happened to me in the morning
of Aug. 21st in Valergues, France. And the only emotion in my mind would be just ANGRY
no matter how many years had been through, unless this man-the extremely disgraceful
thief get caught one day and express his apology to me personally !

I have put my VERY LONG lost-list at the end.

Well, then if still interested, please go on reading my whole story…

My name is Jason Guo, a 44 years old Taiwanese man who decided to quit my job and leaving
for a tight budget travelling in Europe. And I did not have a specific route, only a rough and ready
plan to go travelling with a touring bicycle alone for 3 months in Europe, and another 3 months
in the United Kingdom(it's really a pity that I didn't make it). I hope to see anyone and to experience
anything that I would or I could during this travelling. And if for more, I was looking for a positive
stimulation or a sign, to bring me the motive again and to go on a new life or let’s call it “the rest of my life”.

I arrived at Mataro, Spain on July 18th, completed my preparation for bicycle travelling here
on Aug. 9th, and then to start my bicycle touring heading for the Northeast in Europe. Before
I started to ride from Mataro, I was doing a helper job(through the helpx.net ) in a family in
Mataro for 3 weeks. This was also my first helpx experience in Spain, Europe. And be frankly
to say, it wasn’t a happy helpx experience for me. The key reason that I felt this way is because
I wasn’t really free to leave and come back to the house during the daytime. And I was even
put to “house-arrest” for a few times ! But that was the fact of this true world, wasn’t it. There is
always something good and something bad in our life, and also my first life lesson in Europe.

In the morning of my first riding day, I went to the Decathlon to buy a suitable tent and a sleeping
bag for myself during this long bicycle travelling(in case when I need). And I got to say “THANK YOU”
to my host’s husband who told me this useful information indeed. But, don’t know why I didn’t
use them at my first night of bicycle touring. Maybe it was because I’m a fresh hand on this, and
I really don’t want to be asked to leave or deported by someone after I’ve set up my tent. Also my
first time to set up a tent was really a kind of painful experience, because I chose to set up my
tent beside the side/cargo entrance of a Carrefour market after it was closed at 9pm. And it took
me almost 3 hours to set it up in the dark ! Well, after this painful experience, I can set up my tent
more and more quickly in less than 10 minutes. Also I knew that it was no need to think about too
much at worrying about someone will ask you to leave or deporting you.

I had a pocket notebook that I wrote down my daily riding progress of where I arrived and stopped
for overnight, also what I bought for my daily supplies. Now, I only remember some memory since
I lost this notebook together with my touring bicycle. I remember I rode across the border between
Spain and France in the afternoon of Aug. 13th . And I took a photo at the peak of a mountain near
this border for a good memory of mine. I spent about 4 days riding in the east of Spain. While I still
rode in Spain, it was easy to get a free drinking water from a fountain in the street or park. I personally
think that was a very nice and friendly public service for touring cyclists or backpackers. But, when I
entered the France, there was no more FREE drinking water. You have to pay for your 1.5L bottled
drinking water from € 0.17 to € 1. This is really not surprising since there should be rights for free
commercial business. But, my point is: we(some touring cyclists or backpackers) will remember
travelling in Spain is more friendly than in France. Then if talked about foods, fresh, good quality and
no expensive mixed nuts is definitely my favorites in Spain ; and certainly I’ll be missing the classic
baguette with creamy cheese and sardine fish can with olive oil in France. And also various kinds of
apples, tomatoes and peaches in both Spain & France.

G74Ho6Y.jpg

Picture of the border between Spain and France

I realized that riding days could be just simple, because eating, drinking and finding a place & set-up
a shelter are the 3 most important things must to be done except of riding everyday. But still, I can find
some time to enjoy seeing the beautiful view, and people or something interesting to me. Those would
be some extra entertainments for me. I brought a smart phone with me during this travelling.
But, both the telephone & internet functions were dead after entered France(I’ll never use LycaMobile again…)
and also I didn’t have a good solution for my smartphone’s battery recharging. This is a big miss to me,
and I must prepare a good solution in my next bicycle touring.

After I entered the France, I only rode for 1week till I lost my bike and a lot of stuffs, tools & equipment
on the morning of Aug. 21st. During this week, I have been riding through the Argeles, Perpignan,
Rivesaltes, Port Leucate, Narbonne, Beziers, Montpellier and Valergues. The road condition(alphalt road)
and road signs are a bit different from those in Spain. Well, I must say that I was riding and moving forward
pretty smooth in Spain. But I was riding more circuitous and even guided to a gravel path beside
the grape farm and a dead end a few times. Then I walked back to Montpellier(from the Police Station
in Mauguio) in order to check-in to the Youth-Hostel(Auberge de Jeunesse HI Montpellier) and also for
the shower plus some good rest in the bed.

3rx4w6s.jpg

My first stay at Youth-Hostel(Auberge de Jeunesse HI Montpellier)

OyPINUp.jpg

My 2nd stay in another room and just a bit like in a prison...

Bf9HXyi.jpg

A picture with 3 nice and young French gentlemen.

Since I lost my touring bicycle, I’ve been thinking about whether am I going to get a new bicycle to
go on my cycle touring in Europe. Then, I decided to end this cycle touring prematurely and return
to my country, Taiwan. But, I definitely will give it another try when I’m ready and saved enough
money. And at last, I’d like to say “THANK YOU” to every nice person who ever helped me during this
short bicycle trip. Such like a very nice, beautiful and English speaking McDonald staff (Argeles Parking C.Cial)
who gave me 1.5L cool drinking water for free; a nice local bus-driver who gave me a free ride to a small
police booth; MDL/Chef Audrey T.- the policewoman of Gendarmerie Nationale in Mauguio who helped me
to finish the stolen case report procedure and also taught me how to get to the Youth Hostel/ Auberge de
Jeunesse HI Montpellier; kindly staffs of a Japanese restaurant and a Café & Bakery who both
let me to
access their internet for free; 3 nice and young French gentlemen became new roommates for my 2nd stay
in the Youth Hostel, and they talked to me and shared their foods & drinks with me. That was really a good
comfort to me since I lost my bicycle; a nice lady of Eurolines booth (8 Rue de Verdun) who helped me to
book a ticket to the Nice Aeroport and also printed me a map to the Sabines; another nice lady of Emirates Airines
(AGT 20495296 FR) who helped me to book my air tickets back to my country(Taipei,Taiwan). And I almost forgot
a nice meal treated by cyclist-Micky while still riding in Spain.

CIwOYUd.jpg

Took nightbus to arrive Aeroport-Nice in the morning.

6ezv9Z2.jpg

Ready to flying home with A380...

To all of you above, I thank you ever helped me in a different time & place, and I wish we could
meet each other again in some day. Surely, everyone can see some criticism in my story, but my
main purpose is to expect that France could be a better and safer place/country for touring cyclists.
And then maybe the No.1 place/country for touring cyclists in the future, just like the grand reputation
of the Tour de France in the world.

All the best to everyone of you, and also the people who read this article.

ps. If anyone who read this story and also just happened to receive or to own some goods within
my lost-list. I would be very happy if you’re willing to send it back to me( especially my private photo
albums and the SD memory card in my Olympus Digi-camera. ).

hOotkGW.jpg

F8H6CV2.jpg

TQthRGO.jpg

PEtx2aV.jpg

Jc8vizJ.jpg

The only picture took in Girona, Spain before I lost them all in Valergues, France.

And I also thought almost everyone can feel the strong feeling to me after you saw this
VERY LONG lost-list. Because I believe no any touring cyclist should be treated that way in
France !! Well, I did lock my touring bicycle with a cable lock but didn’t lock it to a unmovable
object. So, maybe this was the biggest mistake I made and caused me lost my touring bicycle,
or maybe not( because I used a light cable lock ).

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sadly theft is rife throughout Europe.

robjh

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about your bad experience, and thanks for an interesting write-up. However, don't blame France for what happened to you - it can be a great country for cycle touring, and sadly there are a few thieving scumbags in all countries. You were very unlucky to have encountered one, but it is a rare event that could equally have happened in parts of Spain, the UK and other countries.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Because I believe no any touring cyclist should be treated that way in
France !! Well, I did lock my touring bicycle with a cable lock but didn’t lock it to a unmovable
object. So, maybe this was the biggest mistake I made and caused me lost my touring bicycle,
or maybe not( because I used a light cable lock ).
I agree no-one should be treated that way. Not locking it to anything may have allowed someone to move the bike to a place where they could attack the lock in peace, but I think a thin cable lock is just too easy for thieves and is going to make the bike look like the easiest target unless someone has locked up nearby with a thin combination-cable lock. I almost always lock up with a hardened-steel D lock and a noisy alarm cable... even then, I don't like leaving the bike in towns and especially not with much luggage on. I may be paranoid and it's 1.5kg of locks to propel around the place, but I've not lost a bike yet.

It's a shame that your tour ended badly but I hope you enjoyed the bits before that and that you try again. And I hope that the thief suffers some misfortune in return.

Dismayed that your trip ended in such a bad fashion. Having toured in France i allways felt safer leaving my gear on the bike than i ever would in the uk but not items of easy value ie, cash etc.

Hope you manage to get back together and start again soon and if you make the uk let us know, sure there will be a few offes to join you for sections of your ride. Good luck.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
JBTinEU17

JBTinEU17

Regular
Sorry to hear about your bad experience, and thanks for an interesting write-up. However, don't blame France for what happened to you - it can be a great country for cycle touring, and sadly there are a few thieving scumbags in all countries. You were very unlucky to have encountered one, but it is a rare event that could equally have happened in parts of Spain, the UK and other countries.

Hi robjh,

Thank you for your message also you like my story. And you said that my case was a rare event.
If what you said is true, then can I thinking this way that mostly bike thefts wouldn't happen on touring cyclists !?

OP
OP
JBTinEU17

JBTinEU17

Regular
I agree no-one should be treated that way. Not locking it to anything may have allowed someone to move the bike to a place where they could attack the lock in peace, but I think a thin cable lock is just too easy for thieves and is going to make the bike look like the easiest target unless someone has locked up nearby with a thin combination-cable lock. I almost always lock up with a hardened-steel D lock and a noisy alarm cable... even then, I don't like leaving the bike in towns and especially not with much luggage on. I may be paranoid and it's 1.5kg of locks to propel around the place, but I've not lost a bike yet.

It's a shame that your tour ended badly but I hope you enjoyed the bits before that and that you try again. And I hope that the thief suffers some misfortune in return.

Hi mjr,

Thanks a lot for your message and comfort.
And you using a 1.5kg of locks, so how many piece of locks do you use on your bike ?
It must be a beloved bike of yours !

OP
OP
JBTinEU17

JBTinEU17

Regular
Dismayed that your trip ended in such a bad fashion. Having toured in France i allways felt safer leaving my gear on the bike than i ever would in the uk but not items of easy value ie, cash etc.

Hope you manage to get back together and start again soon and if you make the uk let us know, sure there will be a few offes to join you for sections of your ride. Good luck.

Hi oldfatfool,

Thank you for your message and encouragement. And if I'm ready for my 2nd cycle touring in Europe again,
I'll let everybody here know it.

Venod

Eh up
I am sorry you lost your bicycle and it spoiled your tour of Europe, unfortunately thieves have no conscience and wouldn't give a second thought to your circumstances.
They probably stole it it for the mudguards :smile:
Joking aside, I hope you get back to Europe and make it to the UK (in the summer) but do bring a good lock and be careful.

OP
OP
JBTinEU17

JBTinEU17

Regular
I am sorry you lost your bicycle and it spoiled your tour of Europe, unfortunately thieves have no conscience and wouldn't give a second thought to your circumstances.
They probably stole it it for the mudguards :smile:
Joking aside, I hope you get back to Europe and make it to the UK (in the summer) but do bring a good lock and be careful.

Hello Afnug,

The mudguards on that white touring bike, they were my DIY handwork with some
used bike cusions(polystyrene). Well, if that thief stole my bike just for the mudguards,
I'll be very proud of my handwork, but I'd like to say this to that thief, " Hey~ you can have
the DIY mudguards for free, but please leave my bike with me until I finished my cycle
touring in UK !

Lonestar

Veteran
Sorry for your loss.I had two bikes stolen in the late 1980's and always remember one of them because I toured Scotland on it in July1986.

Yes thieves don't care and people aren't worth trusting with your pride and joy.Get decent locks and always lock the wheels and frame to something solid.Also be careful of what areas you lock your bike up in.No doubt some on here have already gone through this but good luck with your next tour and that you don't fall in with such scum-bags again.

Bike theft is a low priority for the cops here (and probably other countries) as they are pushed enough already and they have more serious crimes to worry about.

Good Luck!

Word of warning cable locks are crap and were what I used in the 1980's (at a guess) before I became slightly wiser and would guess I was using the same sort of locks when I had my bikes nicked.Nicer pics and write up.:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JBTinEU17

JBTinEU17

Regular
Sorry for your loss.I had two bikes stolen in the late 1980's and always remember one of them because I toured Scotland on it in July1986.

Yes thieves don't care and people aren't worth trusting with your pride and joy.Get decent locks and always lock the wheels and frame to something solid.Also be careful of what areas you lock your bike up in.No doubt some on here have already gone through this but good luck with your next tour and that you don't fall in with such scum-bags again.

Bike theft is a low priority for the cops here (and probably other countries) as they are pushed enough already and they have more serious crimes to worry about.

Good Luck!

Word of warning cable locks are crap and were what I used in the 1980's (at a guess) before I became slightly wiser and would guess I was using the same sort of locks when I had my bikes nicked.Nicer pics and write up.:smile:

Hi~ Lonestar,

Thank you very much for your post with old story, valuable message and your encouragement.
And I browsed your album especially on your Dawes Audax 2006. But, why there are so many
wiring around the head-tube and top-tube of your Dawes Audax '06 ? Did you set up some anti-
thief device on your bike ?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I admire your determination to give your tour another shot. A really good money saving tip would be to get in touch with Warmshowers hosts. You stay at people’s houses for free and you normally get loooked after very well as they are tourers themselves. Importantly, they will feed you well because they understand the work involved.

I have been a host for 3 years and it has been great. Our guests have come from Thailand, England, Germany, Kenya, New Zealand, France And Guernsey. If you are planning to travel to South West England, look us up and we will be glad to help.

Lonestar

Veteran
Hi~ Lonestar,

Thank you very much for your post with old story, valuable message and your encouragement.
And I browsed your album especially on your Dawes Audax 2006. But, why there are so many
wiring around the head-tube and top-tube of your Dawes Audax '06 ? Did you set up some anti-
thief device on your bike ?

Nah,that was my lighting system and front hub dynamo wiring.Theft isn't too much of a problem (touch wood) I just am careful where I lock my bikes up and how I lock them up.I try not to leave them at one place for too long.

I've always mixed my intrest in electrics/electronics with cycling.Once I fitted a car horn/moped horn to the bike.

Top Bottom