My Very Last Bent Bike Optima Highbaron

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just purchased frameset High baron off David at Laid Back Bikes, Its a Green metallic colour. Need some advice on a few bits,bobs
1. Where can I buy chain tubing from. [PVC}
2. Don't like the seat cover and foam { like Nazca much better} where can I buy ventist replacement pad and can they come in different thickness for my problematic back! [ HAD FUSION TOP & BOTTOM OF SPINE] mm do miss my trike sometimes but no room to keep one anymore.
3. What would you fit with 9-10 speed with double prob shimano ultegra groupset. what type of twisters { model no if possible and why}
Appreciate all you help and comments from the Darkside community on this forum, which has helped me.

classic33

Leg End Member
Black PVC tubing, agricultural water pipe. Grey, can be bought at nearly every DIY outlet.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Twistgrip shifters seen to be less popular now than they were - as clicky things have become more efficient/effective or whatever has been done to improve their popularity.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Yep I have a confession to make sold the HB and bought a Toxy

Ha ha. Thought that might be the case but not so soon.

OP
OP
neil earley
Ok will come clean, sold my vendetta and had Performer Highracer in part ex. So had to try it out went for a ride down hill just topping 35MPH and just as I was approaching bottom and a right hand bend , heard a loud bang and the next thing was me sliding across the road. Suffered severe bruising to my left hip cuts along my arm and twisted my ankle which had swollen up like balloon in a matter of minutes. On inspection to the Performer a shard of metal had pierced the sidewall of front tyre causing me to lose control. Off to A&E and nothing broken apart from the bruising thank goodness. I have lost total confidence in riding Highracers and was lucky not to damage my spine anymore{ fusion top and bottom 7 implants later!!] So sold the Highbaron quickly and a Toxy ZR came up for sale quick google and put a winning bid on it. Its as low as you can go easier to get on and off or should I say fall off lol, will do a review at a later date, pic of Toxy ZR

Attachments

• MY TOXY 1.jpg
    MY TOXY 1.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 130

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I'd 'Like' your post - if it weren't for the very painful experience you recount :ohmy: - and it must have been pretty frightening, as I am no doubt you are all too aware of your back issues. :eek:

I haven't heard of Toxy before - but rather like the look of that. :thumbsup:

Happy riding and many safe miles together ! ^_^

hurri

Regular
Have always liked the elegance of the Toxy design, no large chain run. Will be interesting to see how you get on with the bike - looking forward to the review :thumbsup:

To me, high racers are somewhat of a curiousity,, why go high when you can go low, and take advantage of the lower wind speed near the ground.. so I think you made a wise choice ^_^

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
why go high when you can go low, and take advantage of the lower wind speed near the ground.. so I think you made a wise choice ^_^

In my experience high racers are far easier to balance, especially whilst setting off, filtering, and going uphill. As for Aerodynamics, the difference is negligible, the
bike beneath you is only tyre/cassette wide. I've owned a high, low and midracer and if I ever felt the need for an addition to the trike, it'd be another high racer. That said, when I'm recumbing, it's solely for commuting, so maybe a low racer makes more sense for rides where filtering etc isn't so important.

My high racer Bacchetta Strada was far faster than the low racer Optima Baron, which may have been partly due to the weight, but I believe it was mainly down to the ease of riding/accelerating. I miss my Strada. Will but another when funds permit.

In my experience high racers are far easier to balance, especially whilst setting off, filtering, and going uphill. ................
That's interesting, as I thought I'd read elsewhere (but can't remember where!) that it's the other way around ............

Would anyone else with experience of both high and low racers care to share their observations on this subject?

OP
OP
neil earley
Look at David Mc CRAW,S BLOG { CANT FIND LINK} he has rode numerous high and low racers and very informative, my observation is its the engine which makes it go fast or in my case SLOOOWWW ! as for comfort it depends on seat, tiller , healstrike etc . One good thing about the Toxy is you can put your hand down at rest, which aids starting off and FWD very short chain length as opposed to RWD. will sort out short revue this week with some pics.

Top Bottom