My Very Last Bent Bike Optima Highbaron

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Dave McCraw's blog should be here:
http://mccraw.co.uk/laid-back/
(sorry no direct link - on a mobile thingy ...)

He has some good and interesting reviews. :thumbsup:

Ah yes, you've reminded me - it was indeed Dave McCraw's blog where I had read: “As with all high recumbents, you’ll face a greater learning curve than a low bike if you’re a novice, and that’s definitely something to be aware of .."
Hence my curiosity when BlackP opined above that his experience appears to be the other around. Nothing wrong with that, we're all individuals, but I'm curious as to which way other people with experience of both types find it.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Ah yes, you've reminded me - it was indeed Dave McCraw's blog where I had read: “As with all high recumbents, you’ll face a greater learning curve than a low bike if you’re a novice, and that’s definitely something to be aware of .."
Hence my curiosity when BlackP opined above that his experience appears to be the other around. Nothing wrong with that, we're all individuals, but I'm curious as to which way other people with experience of both types find it.

Not just me. My mate and my Brother couldn't ride the Baron at all, but they lost the wobble on the Strada within a few minutes. Plus I could filter comfortably at walking pace on the Strada, and set off without wobbling. I dreaded coming to a stop on the Baron!

hurri

Regular
Agreed, generally the higher the bicycle the easier to balance. It is basic physics. You can more easily balance something with a high centre of gravity simply because it takes longer for it to fall over (... try a broom handle versus a pencil on your hand if you want to demonstrate this.)

I'm sure your Strada would be a much better bike to handle than a Baron or similar lowracer, and probably a lot lighter as well. One technique for low racers that I've found works well is if you have a folding handlebar is to sit upright and steer with the handlebar more vertically. The higher centre of gravity means you can go really slowly although this is a bit of a workout for your sixpack as you have to hold a 'crunch' position! ^_^

Personally I find a low recumbent in town to be a bit stressful. I'd want the highest high racer possible... which is a diamond frame mountain bike.. and has the advantage that you can easily hop kerbs with it and get the best vision possible over upcoming hazards. Guess I'm not hardcore enough.....

OP
OP
neil earley
MM not every highracer is easy to ride, learning to ride a Vendetta with MBB was a challenge but with practise you get there. Everyone's learning curve is different ,so far so good with my Toxy ZR low as you can go and easy to ride.

Top Bottom