My Wifes great - look what she surprised me with!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LimeBurn

Über Member
It was my birthday on Friday and my lovely Wife picked up a bargain for me. From what I can tell its a Dawes Super Galaxy (although someone might put me straight on this) which has been resprayed by Vernon Barker (a local frame builder with a good reputation) it looks to be in very good condition with only a rear spoke to replace and true, and bit of gear adjustment to be done, although I may end up swapping out the stems to adjust position a bit as I feel a little stretched out on it at the minute. Oh and that bar tape has got to go!!!!!
IMAG0218.jpg
IMAG0215.jpg

Anyway we took it out for a test spin just around the local country park for a short 7 mile jaunt and it performed admirably, cant wait to get out on it some more and put some miles on it.

Hi Limeburn. Nice one and a belated Happy Birthday to you. Congratulations to your wife on her wonderful choice for keeping dry when the weather turns wet and to you for being such a big-built chap and providing the body-cover.
I am with you 100% on the bar-tape issue - perhaps PINK as a Thank You to your wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy & Safe Riding to you both.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Congrats! Vernon Barker has got a bit of a nerve plastering his name all over it if it is Galaxy. Rear derailleur looks to be at a weird angle. My thoughts as well on the bar tape. Nice one.

IIRC with the third "strut" in the rear triangle it is a Dawes "Super" Galaxy

The Galaxy "reinforcement" tube went form headset to just forward of the stoker's bottom bracket, whilst the "Super Galaxy" reinforcement passed the stoker's down tube through to the rear axle

It was my birthday on Friday and my lovely Wife picked up a bargain for me. From what I can tell its a Dawes Super Galaxy (although someone might put me straight on this) which has been resprayed by Vernon Barker (a local frame builder with a good reputation) it looks to be in very good condition with only a rear spoke to replace and true, and bit of gear adjustment to be done, although I may end up swapping out the stems to adjust position a bit as I feel a little stretched out on it at the minute. Oh and that bar tape has got to go!!!!! View attachment 57726 View attachment 57727

Anyway we took it out for a test spin just around the local country park for a short 7 mile jaunt and it performed admirably, cant wait to get out on it some more and put some miles on it.

Is that an "I'm not pedalling and he hasn't noticed" smirk on your wife's face?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Great pressie. I love the tape too.

OP
OP
LimeBurn

LimeBurn

Über Member
Ha thankyou, I'll have you know that copious amounts of chips were involved in the taking of this photo.
Hi Limeburn. Nice one and a belated Happy Birthday to you. Congratulations to your wife on her wonderful choice for keeping dry when the weather turns wet and to you for being such a big-built chap and providing the body-cover.
I am with you 100% on the bar-tape issue - perhaps PINK as a Thank You to your wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy & Safe Riding to you both.

OP
OP
LimeBurn

LimeBurn

Über Member
Must admit I would have preferred it to be painted back up as a galaxy but according to the guy at VB it was just what the customer requested. The rear derailleur is at a weird angle as I think the chain is too short but this will be replaced any way.
Congrats! Vernon Barker has got a bit of a nerve plastering his name all over it if it is Galaxy. Rear derailleur looks to be at a weird angle. My thoughts as well on the bar tape. Nice one.

OP
OP
LimeBurn

LimeBurn

Über Member
Yeah that was where I got the assumption that it was a super galaxy from as for age I'm guessing around 1990 from what I can gather from the Internet.
IIRC with the third "strut" in the rear triangle it is a Dawes "Super" Galaxy

The Galaxy "reinforcement" tube went form headset to just forward of the stoker's bottom bracket, whilst the "Super Galaxy" reinforcement passed the stoker's down tube through to the rear axle

Top Bottom