My Wife's just been hit by a car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sorry to read that Panter.

Perhaps name and shame, then we'll all take turns at bricking his windows (gallows humour honest) :thumbsup:

On a serious note I think thats pretty sad. I do wonder if he's now comfortably sitting in his car seat on the way home from work thinking smugly: "got away with that one!":sad: You have my sympathies and I hope your missus doesnt suffer any problems in the future.

U

User482

In my experience, you did well to get the PCSO to visit the driver. Maybe, just maybe he'll look next time.

Not that this helps your wife any. My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Glad your wife is OK,i hope they treat the offence of driving away from the scene as if it was on a road,an injury has been caused no matter if it was in a car park :angry:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks for the well wishes all, I've passed them on to a very grateful Mrs P.
Yes, as it was so relatively minor, sending a copper round is probably the best outcome we could hope for.

@Ste T, yes it was an amazingly fast response, although probably more a reflection on the need for heavy policing round here :sad: (or in Medway anyway, where it happened)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Good news that she is OK.

But what on earth type of person was that driver? I'm sure that if most of us accidentally reversed into a pedestrian we would be so full of remorse and shaken up that we would be out of the car in a flash checking that they were OK and apologising like mad. Funnily enough, I suspect that there is a chance that if he had acted that way, you and Mrs P might not have felt the need to contact the police.

As it is, I hope the law nails him.

Good news that she is OK.

As it is, I hope the law nails him.

That's not going to happen unless they find video of it happening. Otherwise they have Mrs P saying car reversed in to her, driver saying no they didn't and a photograph of a car driving forwards through a car park.

Fingers crossed that the cameras were on, pointing in the right direction and recording.

Really pleased that Mrs P was not seriously hurt and (possibly even more) pleased that it wasn't Miss P who may not have had the presence of mind to bang on the car.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er... just to add a note of balance to this anti-driver rant, the Highway Code does apply to pedestrians as much as anybody else and it does say that pedestrians should not walk behind a car that's showing its reversing lights. That said, you've got to see the lights so they're not much use if you're walking away from a car that reverses.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all, it may be an option to claim off the insurance. I intensely dislike the "sue culture" mentality but she has suffered as a result of his actions.
She didn't walk behind a reversing car, she crossed behind him (with my elderly mother on her arm) and he then reversed into them.

The law won't take any further action because, as above, there's no evidence. The security cameras, of course, were all pointing the wrong way.

Andy in Sig, you're quite right, if the driver had acted reasonably then she probably wouldn't have felt the need to take any further action. It is worrying that someone can reverse into a pedestrian without noticing, and then mouth abuse and drive off when he did realise.
It's lucky that it wasn't someone pushing a child in a pushchair that he hit.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Its so frustrating that idiotic drivers get away with literally murder. Getting sick of the car is king attitude in this country. Glad your missus is okish.

asterix

Comrade Member
Er... just to add a note of balance to this anti-driver rant, the Highway Code does apply to pedestrians as much as anybody else and it does say that pedestrians should not walk behind a car that's showing its reversing lights. That said, you've got to see the lights so they're not much use if you're walking away from a car that reverses.

Thanks again for all the well wishes :smile:

Causes no upset here, FWIW I fully agree with you.
However, he wasn't reversing out of a space, he was driving slowly by when my Wife crossed behind him. He then stopped and reversed into her, presumably as he'd spotted a parking space or something.
My Wife is very aware of traffic, and wouldn't walk into the path or a reversing car. She also had my mum on her arm who is elderly, suffering with alzheimers, and is doddery on her feet so my Wife would've been extra careful in crossing.

Globalti, you are out of order. Again.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

I think you should reread the thread. Its all been explained earlier.

[/size]
I think most people that post here about being abusive to pedestrians get pretty short shrift. They certainly do from me: pedestrians have more right to be on the roads than any other group of road users including cyclists.

FWIW, pedestrians are second in line to the rights to road usage. I think you will find that horses, horse/cart have right of way above pedestrians, then it's other road users next. :thumbsup:

Staying on topic, and I'm glad to hear that your wife never suffered lingering injuries, however, I'd like to argue the point from the drivers lawers view.

You say you heard a bang, and saw your wife remonstrating with the leaving car/driver?

So, the car was reversing, and how fast was it going in reverse, for you to hear an audible bang?

Your wife was still stood up at the time of, and immediately after alleged impact, and (she) had hit the back of the car to stop/warn the driver?

I put it to you, that the 'bang' you heard was infact the result of your wife hitting the car to stop/warn the driver. Further more, injuries sustained - pulled muscles/bad back strain - could have, and most probably were caused by the effort of your wife quickly turning towards and striking the rear of the car with enough force for you to have heard the 'bang'.

This hypothasis can be proved by the pain being regional to the (alleged) impact area. i.e, your elderly mother was on the right* (assuming) as she was not in collision with the car also. This indicates that the car was likely to strike your wife on the left* side. Rapid turning to the left*, to strike the rear of the car (human natures indicates that you turn towards the danger and not away from it) with her right* hand, would cause muscle damage on the right* and bruising occuring with the muscle damage.

Though my client accepts that he was careless in his reversing manouver, he did not infact come into contact with your wife, and that the injuries caused were due to the actions of your wife.

* left/right directions are dependant (in this scenario) on the postion of your elderly mother, whom you state was being aided by your wife.)

I think, should any insurance company read carefully the statements given by any legal representative of the driver, then you are likely to receive a minimal award.

As for leaving the scene of the (alleged) accident. Police will not even bother to attend the scene of an accident if there are no injuries caused during the collision. As no physical injuries were reported at the time, and your wife was not reported to have been 'down'. Then it too can be argued that the driver left, after receiving the hit to his car, and left to prevent possible further damage caused (if any) to his vehicle, by an angry pedestrian.

Reading a story from an angry author always leads to distortion of facts.

Again, sorry to hear about it, but it happens every day in most towns/cities.

p.s You might find that should your wife wish to pursue a claim for injuries, the driver could (and it does happen) puts in a counter claim for damage (however minor) to the rear body work of his vehicle. If it can be shown that there is a dent where your wife struck the rear of the car in her anger.

Top Bottom