My winter project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolfie4560

In a moment of madness, I bought a Carlton Corsa frame in rough condition. My intention is to restore it to it's former glory and take it to L'eroica next year. I'll be doing all the work myself including the respray. I'll post updates occasionally which should keep me motivated ^_^

Carlton Corsa start.jpg

Yep,pretty rough.
But my goodness ,do I like it !!!! :thumbsup:
Make it pretty again.

OP
OP
Wolfie4560

Wolfie4560

Drool!!!

OP
OP
Wolfie4560

Wolfie4560

The forks have bee removed now and cotters are soaking in WD40 because a good whack with a hammer did doodly squat :biggrin: Rubbing down will commence tomorrow and I'll be trawling eBay to find some bits. Anyone know if the seat pin is chromed steel, or alloy? I'm also undecided whether to use the Brooks Colt from my hybrid, or buy a B17.... Decisions, decisions..... ;)

Carlton is a brand with some really top class frames that was degraded by Raleigh as their mass market nice bike. The bad ones are good, the good ones are superb. My old 1979 Falcon was a nice ride but not built like the top end Falcons in Reynolds 531.
The marker I use for a quality frame of this era is the rear dropouts. Stamped dropouts mean factory grade, investment-cast ones mean workshop or custom grade. You can see investment-cast dropouts long after the label has faded or the original paintwork replaced.

davidphilips

Veteran
The bad ones are good, the good ones are superb. My old 1979 Falcon was a nice ride but not built like the top end Falcons in Reynolds 531.
The marker I use for a quality frame of this era is the rear dropouts. Stamped dropouts mean factory grade, investment-cast ones mean workshop or custom grade. You can see investment-cast dropouts long after the label has faded or the original paintwork replaced.[/QUOTE]

michael you lost me a bit there any chance you could post a picture of both types of drop outs? something i really never took any notice of but must start to look out for.

Top Bottom