mysterious crunching/grinding noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatles

I found the 2013 post below, similar to my problem. Bike shops cannot locate problem area, suggested replacing chain so did - noise still there...it happens mostly with heavier than normal pressure pedaling...also does it when just coasting, though less loudly...its a previously owned 2009 Raleigh, so don't know previous maintenance or usage, but didn't make the noise when I first got it...bottom crank not loose, pedals are new, gears all checked and adjusted, chain new and lubed...could it likely be BB bearings? HELP!

-beatles

I have started to get what i can only describe as a fine crunching noise mainly from the BB area more so when on the push stroke on the left side and a bit on the right, everything that can be tightened has been done lubed the new chain yesterday, and cant work out exactly where or what it is when im riding because the wind is that bad so its difficult to pinpoint, there's no play in the BB and the pedals are shimano 520's and relatively new and no play in them, so im at a loss and its doing my head in any ideas?

Matt077

Regular
I don't know if this will help, I get the same problem every now and then.

On mine it seems to be the saddle creaking with each stroke, what seems to fix it is a small drop of oil in places.

I found the 2013 post below, similar to my problem. Bike shops cannot locate problem area, suggested replacing chain so did - noise still there...it happens mostly with heavier than normal pressure pedaling...also does it when just coasting, though less loudly...its a previously owned 2009 Raleigh, so don't know previous maintenance or usage, but didn't make the noise when I first got it...bottom crank not loose, pedals are new, gears all checked and adjusted, chain new and lubed...could it likely be BB bearings? HELP!

-beatles

I have started to get what i can only describe as a fine crunching noise mainly from the BB area more so when on the push stroke on the left side and a bit on the right, everything that can be tightened has been done lubed the new chain yesterday, and cant work out exactly where or what it is when im riding because the wind is that bad so its difficult to pinpoint, there's no play in the BB and the pedals are shimano 520's and relatively new and no play in them, so im at a loss and its doing my head in any ideas?
Have you got internal or external cups on the BB?

Top Bottom