1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mysterious noise problem solved

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by themosquitoking, 17 Jul 2017.

1. themosquitoking

themosquitoking Veteran

Didn't post a thread asking for help about my problem because i fixed it. Just wanted to add to the general cycle chat knowledge base for future searchers.
    Had a small clicking whenever i got out of the saddle which i assumed was somehow pedal/cleat related as it was happening at the same point on every pedal rotation. Turns out it was a loose headset and it was me pulling on the handlebars causing the noise. Does this count as a mechanical though? @Nomadski would probably like to know.

2. Banjo

Banjo Fuelled with Jelly Babies

Nice one .Noises are difficult to pinpoint sometimes.Good to hear you had a success.

themosquitoking and dave r like this.
  3. rusty bearing

rusty bearing Über Member

More common than you'd think, a dab of grease on the threads helps too.

4. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

I practically stripped and rebuilt a bike once looking for a rattle, it turned out to be my metal watch strap rattling against the handlebar, I once had a creak on a bike that sounded like a BB problem, it turned out to be the brake lever clamp bolt, it just needed tightening half a turn. Well done to the op for getting it sorted .

5. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

I heard a funny chinking sound which I thought was coming from the front of my bike. I eventually discovered that it was my medical dog tag swinging against the inside of the zip of my jersey.

dave r likes this.
  6. heist

heist Active Member

Literally just had the same problem, tried loads of things before I found the solution.

themosquitoking likes this.
  7. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

had a chat with an older rider at the lights once, he had had a funny intermittent noise, stripped the BB, pedals, headset, hubs, no change

it turned out to be his knee

8. OP
    OP
    themosquitoking

themosquitoking Veteran

How long were those lights on red for you to get to know each other that well?

9. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

That London, you can grow old and die at some of them, and I suspect we might have started the conversation on the approach to the junction.