Mysteriously slow bike ride - any suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonfix

Hi, Today I did an olympic-distanse triathlon, and the bike leg was a no fun at all(40k in 72 min, 6-8 min more than I had hoped). My thighs get sore and stiff almost immediately (primarily on the lower outside of both thighs), and it feels like I have almost no power in my legs. I rode on a road bike with an triathlon clip-on aerobar. I almost regularly get the same feeling when using my road bike. The strange thing is that when I ride my off-road bike on gravel roads, I feel much better and able to produce power in a totally different (better) way, and I can ride fairly long rides (>3 hrs) with the same good feeling. Does anyone have any ideas of what may cause this difference? I am thinking that the position on the bike is a key issue, and that my thighs somehow does not cope well with the forward-leaning aero position, whereas the more upright off-road bike works better. This may indicate thight/short muscles, but I would really appreciate any opinion!

Cronorider

I think you are right in regards to position. Hip angle has a lot to do with how much power you can generate and is something that needs to be developed with regular training in the aero position. In regards to the pain, it also sounds like you could have tightness in your IT band that runs from your hip to your knee along the outside of the thigh.

Last edited:

Jason

The IT band (iliotibial band or tract) is located on the outsides of your thighs and are most likely tight. Lots of exercises on the web to help loosen them up.

Just a orthogonal suggestion: if your ride today was harder than you expected on that bike: did you take it in your car? Might you have bumped the brakes? I have had a few issues with my bike recently, culminating in failing to keep my usual riding buddy in sight. I subsequently tried to turn my wheels while lifting the bike and they didn't make it through a single revolution. The brakes were rubbing. But riding it, felt normal, just unexpectedly harder.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just a orthogonal suggestion: if your ride today was harder than you expected on that bike: did you take it in your car? Might you have bumped the brakes? I have had a few issues with my bike recently, culminating in failing to keep my usual riding buddy in sight. I subsequently tried to turn my wheels while lifting the bike and they didn't make it through a single revolution. The brakes were rubbing. But riding it, felt normal, just unexpectedly harder.
I had that problem on a 200 km audax ride! I didn't discover the cause of my lack of oomph until I dismounted in the car park at the finish.

A friend had the same problem on the Manchester 100 sportive one year. He spotted the problem after tiring himself out chasing me for 55 miles and then grovelled back for 45 miles.

gbb

Legendary Member
Check the obvious and easy before going too deep...saddle height.

(Agree with the brake suggestion as well.)

Cronorider

Yes quite possibly but a slipped seat post will give you sore thighs very quickly and you might not even realise the saddle has slipped. Been there done that. Never discount the obvious :okay:

True enough - I have had the brake pad rubbing issue myself

Reactions: gbb
Apart from sudden and unexpected physiological problems that might be best sorted by either a good sport physiotherapist or possibly even a highly qualified and highly recommended osteopath (of which I prefer the latter), it is surely only wise to give your bike a thorough going over before any taxing ride?

You don't see any pilot just walking up to a plane and jumping in and going for a flight, they have to, by law, do a thorough ground check, so why not when you are riding your bike? https://www.quora.com/What-are-pilots-checking-for-when-they-walk-around-a-plane-before-a-flight

BB

Top Bottom