Mystery Quad Strains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matatarski

I'm a semi-serious cyclist living in Vietnam and I've ridden from Hanoi to Saigon (about 2,000km) three times now, yet on the first two attempts I came up lame with strange quad strains that came out of nowhere. They occurred while riding on flat ground at an easy pace and left me unable to ride for several weeks. The key is that the injuries took place the morning after a rest day on which I did no exercise other than stretching. Last month I attempted this ride again, with one major change being that I went for brief warm-up rides on rest days. This time I completed the route problem-free, but two days after finishing it I felt my left quad strain while I was just sitting down, and the right one soon followed. I've scoured Google but can't find info on something this specific - can anyone provide insight into why these rest days are hurting me? I want to do more touring cycling but it seems as though I simply can't stop riding, if I go one day without it my legs give out the next day.

Top Bottom