1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mystery rubber tube in punc repair kit - do you know what it's for?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by another_dave_b, 21 Feb 2008.

1. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

It's for use as a temporary airway when your glands swell & block up your throat when you mistakenly eat a chocolate peanut thinking it's a chocolate raisin.

2. It's a spare part for the now largely obsolete 'Woods' valve. Bin it.

3. andygates

andygates New Member

Or sneak it into a mate's macaroni cheese and watch their face. :angry:

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

This question pops up about once every 12 months.

It's a snorkel for bees.

5. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

'tips hat at fellow bike geek'

6. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Oh dear...now my age is beginning to show. I remember a time when it seemed EVERY outfit had that tube in....think i even used that piece of rubber ONCE on a faulty valve when i was a kid.

7. simoncc

simoncc New Member

I never used that little rubber tube either. As this kit still has it in I'm surprised it didn't also have a little container of powdered chalk too. That was common in the olden days in posher kits.

At $8 dollars though I'd want a hosepipe not a little rubber tube. These days I get my puncture outfits at the £1 shop - decent patches, 2 tubes of rubber solution, good tyre levers, a grotty spanner and a couple of Allen keys all for a quid! And Tesco do a good kit for 79p.

8. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

It is a catheter tube. Insert it, and you can pee down the leg of your shorts where the pee evaporates. Not sure if it works for women