Mystery visitor.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
however they can apparently travel quite long distances over land.
Interesting. Why would they do that though? Had the idea that their food came from watery places?
Good luck with protecting your remaining fish.

figbat

Slippery scientist
What about those heron scarer things? Motion-activated water squirters - not sure how flighty the otter will be, especially when it realises it's just a bit of water.

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Are you sure it's a Otter, catching multiple fish is a behaviour I'd put down to one of these little beggars,

View attachment 515412

A Mink.

Released by activists who knew no better they can devastate stretches of water in short order. :cursing:
Nope, I’ve had a close encounter with a mink whilst fishing so I know the difference. Minks are much smaller than adult otters.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
How about some galvanised steel mesh? You can get posh stuff like this https://www.harrodhorticultural.com/flat-steel-pond-covers-pid8288.html but I am also sure https://www.ultimate-one.co.uk/wire-mesh-rolls-products-weld-mesh-panels-c-89_81 would work well.

Drago

Legendary Member
I do miss being home in Voe where occasionally we'd get a seal in the garden. That is the small aquatic animal, not the US navy special forces. Not sure how it'd go down now I have a dog!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Interesting. Why would they do that though? Had the idea that their food came from watery places?
Good luck with protecting your remaining fish.
Otter populations have recovered significantly as waterways have become cleaner. To the extent that on some parts of the country the rivers are at full population density (places like Devon for example). This forces young otters to go in search of new habitats which may be the case here

Having said that, otters are opportunists and this was probably using the stream and decided to have a look around the area to see what's available...bingo

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Speaking to a lady a few weeks ago that has a garden pond with fish and has had several taken too. She said you sometimes find the fish lying with the scales scraped off.......this is seemingly something the otters seem to do.

Top Bottom