Mystery visitor.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great news about the Otter, any chance you could remove the fish for a few weeks/months so the Otter thinks they're all gone and stops visiting, then return them to the pond ? It's just an idea that might work.

We have Beaver here in the forest on our small river, 2 families this year that are about 3km apart, we assume the 2nd family are offspring from the ones higher upstream. The youngsters (as we think they are) have been very active early in the year and made walking the dog challenging at times with trees all across the paths but they seem to have slowed down their industrial activity at the moment.

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Great news about the Otter, any chance you could remove the fish for a few weeks/months so the Otter thinks they're all gone and stops visiting, then return them to the pond ? It's just an idea that might work.

We have Beaver here in the forest on our small river, 2 families this year that are about 3km apart, we assume the 2nd family are offspring from the ones higher upstream. The youngsters (as we think they are) have been very active early in the year and made walking the dog challenging at times with trees all across the paths but they seem to have slowed down their industrial activity at the moment.
It’s an idea that could work I suppose. However I don’t have anywhere else to put them (some of them are 4-5lbs).
And I don’t think the bath is a viable option :whistle:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It’s an idea that could work I suppose. However I don’t have anywhere else to put them (some of them are 4-5lbs).

An electric fence is your next best option.
I seem to recall we sometimes used them to deter mink from carp ponds.

They certainly help in the battle against foxes, and badgers.

Levo-Lon

Guru
An electric fence is your next best option.
I seem to recall we sometimes used them to deter mink from carp ponds.

They certainly help in the battle against foxes, and badgers.

They'll dig under unless you can combat that with bricks slabs ect..

Foxes got into son's chicken run , fortunately only one casualty.
It found the only weak point and gnawed through..

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
They'll dig under unless you can combat that with bricks slabs ect..

Foxes got into son's chicken run , fortunately only one casualty.
It found the only weak point and gnawed through..

You sure it wasn't a badger..
They're great ones for gnawing their way into chicken howzes.

Slabs under electric fence might work.

Could be simpler to rehome the fish.

Or leave easier pickings out for the blighter..

Could get expensive in trips to the fishmongers though :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
We’re talking in terms of rehoming the remaining fish and filling the pond in. We had a heron episode which decimated the fish a few years ago. Now this event. If I have to make the pond resemble Stalag 13 it’s not exactly an attractive look.
it’s gut wrenching to see the fish which we have looked after and watched grow come to a gory end.

Alex H

Legendary Member

Would your LFS looks after them for a while or maybe lend you a temp Koi pool ? The ones used at shows are easy to set up and you can get very large ones, perhaps 2nd hand even.

I agree Stalag 13 doesn't sound too appealing.

Plan B: keep an Otter in there, i assume they're territorial.

Kryton521

Über Member
Can you get a kind of electric fence? Had one in NZ to keep the dogs in the garden, ran off two D-cell batteries. Gave a hefty kick. Not sure of the legality of them in UK though

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Can you get a kind of electric fence? Had one in NZ to keep the dogs in the garden, ran off two D-cell batteries. Gave a hefty kick. Not sure of the legality of them in UK though

I use them variously, to keep badgers, and foxes out.

And chickens and pigs in their allotted range.

That there, leck-trickery, tis darn clever stuff :okay:

Top Bottom