Mytholmroyd - 36 or 52 mile hilly ride, Sun 5th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a nice hilly ride with Bokonon and goodspeed yesterday - link.

Several CC members said that they'd like to have come along but I hadn't given them enough notice so I've decided to do the ride again on Sunday 5th April.

I've restructured the route into two loops from Mytholmroyd. Anybody who fancies a shorter ride can just do the first loop. The rest of us can go on to do the second one as well.

Loop 1, 58 km (36 miles): Mytholmroyd, Cragg Vale, Blackstone Edge, Littleborough, Hollingworth Lake, Milnrow, Newhey, Denshaw, Buckstones, Ringstone Edge Reservoir, Boothwood Reservoir, Pike End, Baitings Reservoir, Hubberton Green, Scout Road, Mytholmroyd.

Loop 2, 26 km (16 miles): Mytholmroyd, Midgley Road, Midgley, Jerusalem Lane, Booth, Jowler, Wainstalls, Cold Edge, Oxenhope Moor, Oxenhope, Cock Hill, Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd.

Here's the combined profile for the two loops (I've marked Mytholmroyd at the 58 km point.)

april_5th_ride_profile.jpg

As you can see, apart from kms 14-20 (Littleborough, Milnrow, Newhey), most of the ride is either going up or down!

There is a big car park at the community centre in Mytholmroyd so I propose meeting there. If you are parking, please make a contribution in the honesty box by the entrance. The centre is on Caldene avenue, just off the A646 and just round the corner from the railway station.

Here's a map - the red circle shows the site of the community centre.

Meet at about 09:50 with a view to setting off up 'the longest continuous gradient in England' at 10:00.

longest_hill.jpg

Be prepared to wait for me at the tops of the hills! ;)

Anybody fancy joining me...?

GPX file of route

longers

Legendary Member
Yes please.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes, I think I'll come too. I should be able to do at least the 36 mile loop. Perhaps the full loop the last couple of 50 milers I have done have gone a lot better.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Alun said:
Yes, see you there. I'll bring some jelly babies !
You might be needing them! :biggrin:

There's usually a butty van at the top of Buckstones (the second big hill and the highest point on the ride). We stopped there yesterday to refuel. It's on the edge of an escarpment so there are great views into the distance.

There's also a Sainsbury's Local in Mytholmroyd so you can get supplies there at the start, after loop 1 and after loop 2.

Here's a picture taken on the ride. Left to right: me (ColinJ), goodspeed (his right hand was on his handlebars - honest! :biggrin:) and Bokonon. It's not obvious in that small photo but I'm proudly wearing my new CycleChat buff.

colinj_goodspeed_bokonon.jpg

The two most vicious climbs are Midgley Road and Jowler in the first half of the second loop. I reckon they peak at close to 20%.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Include me in for def with a strong possibility of our Liam as well.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
Include me in for def with a strong possibility of our Liam as well.
It'll be good to see you again Paul.

Here's the list so far:

Definitely
ColinJ
longers
PaulB + Liam
Alun
marinyork
colly (subject to day pass!)
goodspeed

Possibly
trio25 (meeting us at Hollingworth Lake)
singlespeedexplosif (BikeRadar - on singlespeed? :smile:!)
Nickwill (BikeRadar)
Blonde
amrushton
sm1thch1ld + 2 mates (BikeRadar)
Svendo (BikeRadar)

colly

Re member eR
Sounds like a route I would enjoy so put my name down for it. :biggrin::smile::tongue:

The only snag might be is if I get flak for 'another' Sunday out all day. :laugh:
TBH my mrs is not one to grumble about me going off but I guess there is a limit.

I will see how the land lies.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

colly said:
Sounds like a route I would enjoy so put my name down for it. :smile::smile::smile:

The only snag might be is if I get flak for 'another' Sunday out all day. :biggrin:
TBH my mrs is not one to grumble about me going off but I guess there is a limit.

I will see how the land lies.:biggrin:
Okay colly, you are now on the list.

Top Bottom