N+1 beckons............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
:smile:

This year's Croix de Fer comes in black, which is much sexier than the white. That appears to be the only difference you get for the new season's price hike, but there you go...

Much as I like Kona, I vote for the CdF. That's totally practical and drop-dead gorgeous.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I'm still looking for N+1, but in the meantime, I seem to have ended up with N+2!!

IMG_13481.jpg

It's a Circe Helios. Rebecca and I will need some practice to get up to FNRttC speeds on it, but the rear seat can also be removed, and a long rack fitted to take 4 panniers, so I can use it as a cargo bike.

RhythMick

Über Member
Have you looked at the Planet X Kaffenback or Uncle John ?

The former is steel, but light for it and fantastic to ride. Takes rack and mudguards, I ride it with 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, but with 35s the mudguards are too tight a fit so I use crud catchers and a seat post mounted rear guard. Love the bike though.

The Uncle John is an aluminium framed cyclocross bike, bit more ground clearance. Both good bikes and well under the £1000 depending on spec. The weight difference was only 300 gms so I went for the Kaffenback. Big fan of Planet X though.

thom

____
So I was similarly minded, also wanting something that can possibly take cross tyres.
I ended up going to Mosquito and indulging in an IF Steel Planet Cross, with front and back rack mounts and disc breaks. If you wanted to max out, you could go for Titanium. You get a bike fit with it too, so the frame's geometry is built to fit you exactly.
Cost likely around the Colnago but a very solid bike.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
What did you think of the disc Secteur on your test ride?

It felt quite nice, solid and dependable, however the brakes didn't seem as efficient as they should be. I know they need bedding in to become fully effective, but I've ridden other brand new disc bikes which seemed to work better.

It just felt a bit boring to be honest, and the Sora derailleur fitted at the rear felt very clunky in operation. It wasn't down to adjustment. Bearing in mind it's £1,000, and you can get the standard Secteur Sport for £650, I felt the disc version was over-priced. Also, the colour scheme seemed a bit weird in being a grey/black matt finish, whilst the standard non disc Secteur looks much nicer.

Top Bottom