N+1 beckons............

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Flying Dodo, 21 Aug 2012.

1. Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo It'll soon be summer

Seeing as it's been at least a couple of years since I last bought a bike, and bearing in mind the rocky state of the economy, I've decided to help Dave & George out a bit, by boosting spending and buying another bike.

My current heavy steel commuter bike needs a new chainset, front & rear derailleurs, chain and new brake pads, so as I've been wanting to get something with disc brakes, I figured it would be better to buy another bike. ^_^

As well as commuting, I'd like to have the option of using it for light touring, so would want something with drop bars. However, after doing a search on disc road bikes, although I was tempted by the Colnago C59, that's a bit OTT for commuting, plus it won't take a rack or mudguards, which would be essential.

I've seen some good comments about the Genesis CdF and the Boardman CX. Can anyone suggest any other bikes I should consider, in the £1,000 range?

2. MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

Look at the caadx 105. RRP £1100, online for about £950, LBS should (and did for me) match that.

Awesome machine. Very light, good spec, beautifully made and damn fast on the road. I love mine (in case you'd not guessed!) no discs though, but I wanted the lower weight and the brakes are great anyway

3. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

I just happened to be looking for something similar lately and found this. Bit cheaper than £1k but that leaves you money to upgrade bits if you want :tongue:

4. SoloCyclist

SoloCyclist Guest

Specialized tricross elite looks nice

5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

A hundred quid over the grand but the Kona Honky Inc ticks all your boxes and more.
    A nice mix of Ultegra/105 so great value for money.

6. OP
    OP
    Flying Dodo

I''m a bit worried that they quote a weight of 14.74 kg - seems a lot for a thin tubed bike.

7. that's a pretty looking bike.

8. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

If it's the whole bike though with rack, discs and 32mm tyres etc that'd be about right.

9. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

Trek have the new Crossrip, higher spec (Sora compact) version is £950, not available until November sadly. Lower spec than my Portland, but if the frame's as good (and I'd be surprised if it wasn't) then it'll be worth upgrading as and when. Ian's Kona is lovely though, so for the extra I'd go for that. That said, all of the mentioned shortlist are excellent buys.

10. OP
    OP
    Flying Dodo

My LBS reckon they'll have a disc Secteur in stock for the beginning of September.

11. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

That looks a superb bike

12. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

That does look really nice. Does it take a rack though? That said, a Brooks and a Carradice works for me

13. OP
    OP
    Flying Dodo

They said it does. However, the big question is whether or not there's room for mudguards and studded tyres!

14. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Yebbut he's not gonna want a racist bike, is he?

Wot?

ttcycle and Booyaa like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Flying Dodo

:laugh:

Don't start Ian on that one again!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice