N+1 Got my brompton this afternoon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Has it?

Mine hasn't

It might do if you're used to a (non-compact) double and a pine cone of a cassette. For the rest of us, on the other hand...

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Kinetics kit sounds good.
http://www.kinetics....l/8-speed.shtml

Just thinking of getting a hub from the USA for about £110 and doing it myself.:smile:

Do you know what sort of mod they needed to do?

Don't know precisely but I have created a gallery of pics here showing the kit contents which might give the initiated some clue as to how the arrangements differ from standard.

Socially active this weekend so doubt I'll get a chance to fit it.....

Will also be changing the brake levers and cables, fitting a B&M rear light, and putting Ergon GC2 grips on.

Then I might take a photo or two of the bike itself.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well that was an experience.

The Brompton is now an 8-speed but isn't entirely finished though I've done a shakedown/test ride of about 5 miles and all seems ok.

Fitting the kit was pretty straightforward though with hindsight I'd change the order I did it in if doing it again.

• Tyre down, stock wheel and chain tensioner off, tyre tube and rim tape off wheel
  • Transfer Rim tape tube and tyre onto new wheel leave flat so it passes through the brakes
  • Rear wheel slots in with some gentle easing of the rear triangle
  • Brompton chainset and pedals off and SA kit chainset popped on with spare pair of SPD's.
  • Then I fitted the chain tensioner, using the stock single speed chain it fits perfectly, however I should have left this step until later.
  • Cut grips off; shifter and ergon GC2 grips/bar ends, brake levers shifted slightly inboard to accommodate. Stem folded/unfolded several times to ensure fold not affected. Note: the stock brake levers are dreadful and will be replaced on pay day with some Shimano ones or possibly bar end levers (which I have spare if they can go one without affecting fold but would need new cables).
  • Gear cable outer fitted, at which point it became apparent the outer cable was far too long for an S type. Ploughed on regardless on basis I can find out correct(ish) cable length and replace later. (I need to use the bike Tuesday)
  • Gear cable nipple bolted onto cable and cable cut to length; then it became obvious that the chain tensioner would have to come off to connect the cable to the hub. Drat.
  • Inevitably putting the chain tensioner back on involved a spot of cussing as it went straight on first time! May bling the chain at some point and will add an SRAM quick link and one more link if I do.
  • Koolstop pads slipped in in place of Fibrax originals
  • Faffed about for 10 mins getting the little yellow line in the middle of the window.
Before
IMG-20111029-00186.jpg

After

IMG-20111029-00191.jpg

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i thought about the 8 speed conversion but decided against it and spent less money a schlumpf speed drive, far more gear range and i'm quite happy with my choice. 21" to 119", effectively it gives me a 33/54 tooth front rings.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sage green and claret!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Please, no pics!

I've just seen the pics, and I agree!

Apologies to Greg, and I know every mother/father thinks their baby is beautiful, but Gnargh! My Eyes!

Easily identified though, surely there isn't another!

Night Train

Maker of Things
The Claret colour is nice.:smile:
As is the Sage Green.;)

I've had a close look at the tensioner mods and they look too DIY made to warrent paying for in my eyes.
An extension to move the fixed jockey wheel, excess protruding bolt threads, stacks of washers. I will have a go at it myself I think.

I just need to get the hub one day.

Nice conversion overally though.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Claret colour is nice.:smile:
As is the Sage Green.;)

I've had a close look at the tensioner mods and they look too DIY made to warrent paying for in my eyes.
An extension to move the fixed jockey wheel, excess protruding bolt threads, stacks of washers. I will have a go at it myself I think.

I just need to get the hub one day.

Nice conversion overally though.:thumbsup:

The tensioner changes are somewhat bodgetastic that is for sure.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ask me if I'm surprised to hear that.:angry: :angry:

I'd be surprised if you expected it to be to be honest.

My view is Brompton bikes come with plenty of built-in flaws straight out of the factory door so I don't expect a one-man-band to be able to produce a conversion kit, economically, that is 'better' than the stuff the factory make.

I found him easy to deal with and all promises/undertakings given were met. ymmv.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Got home last night to find a box from Rose Bikes; new brake levers, spoke reflectors and a new B&M back light. Then at work today my Wellgo QRD removeable pedals arrived. Going to be busy this lunchtime.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
brilliant stuff, Greg, although I do think that two green and pink Bromptons on the FNRttC is something akin to a colour grab. Are you riding it to Whitstable?

I'd really recommend the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres - and self-adhesive patches. I've had one puncture in three years and it took five minutes to fix

Top Bottom