N + 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Over the Easter holidays, I taught my 5 year old daughter to ride her bike without stabilisers. She is absolutely loving it and wants to be out all the time:bicycle::smooch:

Now she wants us to go out on bikes together. Once I know she can consistently, reliably travel in a straight line, we can go on the canal paths down to the Falkirk Wheel or the Kelpies, and rides like this on cycle paths etc. I explained to my wife the difficulties of us embarking on these cycling adventures with my current Whyte Suffolk road bike (I mean, I could put the Marathon + tyres back on and flat pedals, but it would be inconvenient switching between the two constantly for the commute :okay::whistle:)

A hybrid would cope fine with canals paths etc but I'm wondering since I have a bike that could cope with canal paths if I was out cycling longer distances on my own, is a hybrid adding much to what I already have? Would a mountain bike open up another side of cycling to me that I might enjoy as much as road cycling?

So, when the n is a road bike, but one that can cope with gravel paths etc, is the plus one better being a hybrid or mountain bike?

Secondly, what would you rcommend for £500 budget? Looking at MTBs when you are used to road bikes is complicated by the fact I don't get what components are better than others!

Cheers for all help,

Chris

I wouldn't bother with a mountain bike. Extra weight for no gain.

There are plenty of good hybrids available for £500.

for example:

http://www.evanscycles.com/categori...s!price_to=506;sort=popularity;price_from=286

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Just had a look around and going to go for one of the ones going 'x months 0% interest' deals.

However, getting it from somewhere like Wiggle would mean paying an LBS to build it and set it up, whereas Evans offer 9.9% interest or so but at least there's a physical store there. Although Tredz seem to deliver it built up and ready to go (apart from minor adjustments). Evans or LBS?

I don't really get the difference between a hybrid with front suspension and an MTB 29er with front suspension. Like the Giant Roam versus the Giant Talon? What is the difference in real terms?

pclay

Veteran
You might want to check what assembly is required when buying online. Usually it very simple: insert seat post attach handlebars and put wheels on.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Tredz seem to be 'attach pedals and adjust handlebar'.

I've narrowed it down to Giant Roam 2 or 1, just not sure the 1 is worth extra money given that my road bike will be the main mileage bike still.

Also weirdly looking at one of these

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dawes-Tanami-2015-Hybrid-Classic-Bike_76895.htm

image.jpg

Have this weird, romanticised notion of going out for day trips on it - any experience of these? I like that it's fitted with pannier and mudguards but I suppose it's like buying a computer because it comes with a printer!

mythste

Veteran
I kind of feel like disagreeing with the advice above, if its gonna be for pooteling around with the littlun why not get yourself a mountain bike that will allow you to do that but also allow you to go off the beaten track?

I've no doubt that the extra weight wont be an issue keeping up with a 5 year old!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'd say, either get a MTB if you think you might want to do some proper offroading, or get a new commuter bike, and equip your Whyte for doing the trails and canal paths with your daughter, if proper offroading doesn't appeal.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I think I'm going in this direction.

If I had a proper road bike, I'd maybe see the value in a hybrid as an +1, but the Whyte Suffolk is practically a hybrid with drop bars, so another hybrid seems pointless.

What spec should I be looking for in a £500 MTB? I now understand gearing and brakes on road bikes, but MTBs have their own named components all over again. Shimano Deore - never heard of it; Tektra or Shimano disc brakes - much difference? I like Giant and Cube, just don't know where to start!

Top Bottom