n+1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

It happened on the cycle in today. I was on the old 10 tonne hybrid as it was wet today. I decided about 3 minutes into the commute that I really don't like the hybrid any more. I don't enjoy cycling it. It's too heavy, too unresponsive, just too much like a mobile brick. Oh dear.

However, it was the next thought popping into my head that has really worried me.....hmmmm, what about a new bike...

Wait a minute! What's that? A NEW BIKE!? I've already got two, the hybrid and my Kinesis go faster (TM) bike. Why another? Then my brain tries to apply reason and logic...

You see, magnatom, your go faster is your good weather commute/ long distance beastie. You love riding it, but you want to keep it in good nick. You hate the hybrid, soooo, why not get a second hand go faster alike bike (TM) that is as similar as possible for as cheap as possible that you could ride in the crap weather....

Damn. I can't fault the logic. Oh dear! :smile::rolleyes:

Maz

Guru
Don't do it! Your marriage will be in jeopardy!

ChrisKH

Guru
Get some mud guards? Heresy on here, but a bike's, a bike, is a bike.

Alternatively a new fixie with mud guards would solve your bad weather problems and could be built relatively cheaply. Or is Glasgae too hilly?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Mags, perfectly understandable and you definitely need another bike. You want a go anywhere, come wet weather, leave anywhere, type bike. This should be a bit of a speed machine in disguise, ie not attractive to thieves, and as low maintenance as poss. So:-

1. source a steel frame with horizontal dropouts
2. aim for a SS, fixed or 3 speed hub gear
3. build up said bike using whatever it came with or buying shiny new

If you're not sure about the low No of gears idea try an experiment. Put your normal bike in one gear, mid 60's inch wise, and do your normal commute. Be prepared to be amazed at how easy it is, what your average speed is and how much you like not having to faff with gear changes.

It was just a matter of time. We all knew that would happen. I sense your first project, after all you won't sell the hybrid for much but a 2nd hand frame and swop the bits......it might even sneak in under the wifely radar.... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Aye, my wife would certainly raise an eyebrow....:ohmy::smile:

My go faster (TM) has mudguards on at the moment, but even with them on I am reluctant to go out in crap weather (I'm not the best at cleaning due to time constraints). So if I got a new bike I could swap the mudguards over, saving some cash! :biggrin:

I'm not sure about a fixie. There are a few hills the Clyde Tunnel being one of them...

I know how you feel Maggers. I've got the superlite Bianchi (summer bike), the suped up Sirrus (new wheels, convereted to drops) (winter bike) and the heavy wide tyred hybrid (commuter). I went out on Tuesday night with the club as I had to take the bike into work beforehand I did it on the Sirrus however with slipping gears it really struggled on the club run (over 19.6mph average for the 40miles) at some point on that I decided I needed n+1, with the Kinesis (racelight tk) being my favoured option and I could get it through cycle to work. I went to a lbs only to find out that they discover Kinesis aren't shipping them until August :ohmy: Maybe I'll just have to tart up the Sirrus more (23mm tyres /Carbon Forks/ new shifters/ money, money)

I've also an inkling towards a fixie but I think I enjoy my hills too much.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HLaB said:
I know how you feel Maggers. I've got the superlite Bianchi (summer bike), the suped up Sirrus (new wheels, convereted to drops) (winter bike) and the heavy wide tyred hybrid (commuter). I went out on Tuesday night with the club as I had to take the bike into work beforehand I did it on the Sirrus however with slipping gears it really struggled on the club run (over 19.6mph average for the 40miles) at some point on that I decided I needed n+1, with the Kinesis (racelight tk) being my favoured option and I could get it through cycle to work. I went to a lbs only to find out that they discover Kinesis aren't shipping them until August :biggrin: Maybe I'll just have to tart up the Sirrus more (23mm tyres /Carbon Forks/ new shifters/ money, money)

I've also an inkling towards a fixie but I think I enjoy my hills too much.

If it's cyclescheme your on, you could pop over to Glasgow as Billy Bilslands sells the Tk. He might still have some left and I hear the price will be going up with the new 2009 frame. He is on cyclescheme (if that is the one your on). If you do pop over, don't forget to say I sent you! :ohmy:

garrilla

Its a shocking feeling eh! I had a similar moment this morning. I had to stop on the commute to answer the mobi (i did, really.) As I stopped a commuter on a brand new Scott Sportster P2 came whizzing past and set off into the distance as I chatted in my call. Call ended after about min or so, mobi away, then back in the saddle I ground the extra to catch-up on my Dawes Audax. I could see the cherry red of the said commuter's jacket (very nce colour too, iff any one can ID this I'd be pleased) and put in the effort only a catch-up can muster. While I was doing this the bike-demon was chanting "Roubaix, Roubaix, you know you will go faster on that Specialized Roubaix".

Eventually, having lost sight around a few bends, I saw I was catching up and then overtook close to my turn off, which was a shame as I probably would have pulled away and left him for dead.

In the office I had to have sneak at that Roubaix http://www.evanscycles.com/products...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

I can't see mrsGarrilla being too happy when I tell her it was voices in my head that made me do it.

garrilla

ianrauk said:
Now why did you have to post that link? The very bike I want and one keeps waving at me through Cycles UK window in greenwich as I cycle past everyday...

I never said the bike-demon was solely mine :ohmy:

btw, have you test rode it yet? Don't! I did and now I can't stop thinking about it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not yet... but I have had a bloody good fondle of it's lucious curves... :biggrin:

garrilla said:
I never said the bike-demon was solely mine :ohmy:

btw, have you test rode it yet? Don't! I did and now I can't stop thinking about it.

Top Bottom