N+2 - 2 eBay purchases!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
oh dear what a shame and coincidence that it's been nicked just after he sold it to you!
in all seriousness though, it might have be a shame or it may have saved you a lot of time and money considering you haven't a clue about this bike
Cheers Ed

It sold for £42 so I'd have not lost much, if anything. However, you take your chance and pay your money!

The last one I bought without a photo cost me £20 and was a decent buy so I'm happy to give it a go when I see something badly advertised.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@DCLane thats good if it is a Clubman they are nice bikes indeed , seen a few of them through the garage and mostly in very good condition

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

An update on this - the Raleigh Clubman is done:
  • Cleaned.
  • Replacement tyres.
  • Wheels trued and the front greased/new bearings.
  • New chain.
  • Replacement saddle.
  • Changed the cables plus some outers.
  • New bar tape.
DSCF2330_zpsmtzt669r.jpg

I think it still needs re-painting but I won't be doing that. Instead it'll be going on sale when the weather warms up.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Does it have rear mudguard eyelets? After trashing my front mech this winter, I'm considering another option for winter riding?
& what size are the front rings, seems to be a big jump between them?

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Does it have rear mudguard eyelets? After trashing my front mech this winter, I'm considering another option for winter riding?
& what size are the front rings, seems to be a big jump between them?

It's a single front ring, although there are braze-on shifter mounts on both sides.

DSCF2333_zpsfr4ao8nh.jpg

The rear has a mudguard mount, as do the front forks:

DSCF2332_zpsjuzy7sbb.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's a single front ring, although there are braze-on shifter mounts on both sides.

DSCF2333_zpsfr4ao8nh.jpg

The rear has a mudguard mount, as do the front forks:

DSCF2332_zpsjuzy7sbb.jpg
It is easy to fit a second ring onto that crank and judging by the 'witness marks' it has had one fitted that was then removed (I've got a very similar crank in the shed but it hasn't been anodised in gold, its just a silver one)
It may be that the inner ring was removed due to clearance 'issues' with the BB shaft that has been fitted though, easily rectified by changing the shaft for one a bit longer.
I'd be a bit worried by the rear wheel axle though as that looks to be short as well. probably due to the rear wheel hanger's thickness but that could again be easily 'sorted' by either balancing the cones up better or by a slightly longer axle.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Thanks @raleighnut - I'm convinced the crank and wheels aren't originals. From chatting to the seller the bike was her uncle's and he'd had it re-sprayed and changed in the late 80's, which would match the decals.

I do have a 6-speed Giepiemme pair that would fit plus a spare double crank. One thought was to find a matching shifter and revert it to a double although the cheapest I've found is £28 on eBay.

GarryG

Seller no. 1's come back to me; claims it's been stolen. Somehow, given he's not responded until now and I've paid, I think he's lying.

Payment cancelled and we'll see if it's re-listed.

I had exactly the same happen to me on a bike I won, mysteriously got stolen from the garden when I had contacted them.

I have a pair of braze on mounted friction shifters, from my long since binned avatar. Nothing special IMO and plasticy. Yours if you want them at cost of postage. Can upload a picture if they are of interest.

Top Bottom