Naff v-brake mech replacement advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smeg

Am having a bit of trouble with my v-brakes, no matter how I adjust them the blocks either rub against the rim one side or the other, they're just naff unbranded ones so am considering getting something better. Any suggestions? Nothing too expensive, are the Shimano Deore LX T660's any good? There seems to be so many variations I'm not sure what to get. Do I need to be careful I get ones with enough clearance they're for a hybrid/touring bike (Dawes Discovery 201) with mudguards, are some too short arm length?

Is it simple enough to replace v-brake mechs, just a matter of undoing the allen key bolt and pulling it off?

buddha

Veteran
Have you tried replacing the springs? Or bend one back a bit to give a bit of extra tension as a temporary measure until you get some new brakes.

Avid Single Digits are pretty good - changed from Shimano LX as one of the arms snapped!

OP
OP
smeg

smeg

buddha said:
Have you tried replacing the springs? Or bend one back a bit to give a bit of extra tension as a temporary measure until you get some new brakes.

Avid Single Digits are pretty good - changed from Shimano LX as one of the arms snapped!

That doesn't sound like fun esp. if you're going down a steep hill at the time. I was also looking at the Avid Digit 7's are they good? I wasn't aware that you could replace the springs but all the same I'd rather get something better, it's not too bad for the time being it just means I can't have the blocks as close to the rims as I'd like or they'll rub. Over time they just seem to be getting worse. I'll do the front one first, doesn't matter so much about the rear.

buddha

Veteran
Yes, I crashed - luckily there was a hedge to soften the blow!

I've had the Single Digit 7's on my singlespeed for about 3 years. No issues apart from loosing one of the adjustment screws - which I replaced with a similar screw from an old VCR :tongue:

Top Bottom