Name the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Is there any green in there? It might have come off of my campervan.

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2809.JPG

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Renault 14 we had in the 1980s. That picture looks like the car when the scrap dealer collected it! :laugh:

I worked in a Renault dealer at the time.

The 14s arrived already rusting.

I think there was some tale at the time of them being stored in a foot of water at the compound.

Back in the early 80s I had a Marina van as company transport, I went to collect it after a service at the local BL dealership. It wasn't ready so took a look around the showroom, all Metros, Allegras and Princesses, all brand new, all with drip trays underneath. :wacko:

Standard practice in showrooms when cars tended to drip fluids more than they do these days.

I don't think the Leyland stuff was any worse for rust than other mass produced cars at the time.

Early Datsuns and Toyotas were really bad, as were Fiats and some VWs.

There really wasn't any make that didn't rust.

gbb

Legendary Member
Strange isn't it, I had a Lancia Beta coupe in the 80's for a couple of years. Had a fair amount of trouble with it, the head gasket went, a wheel bearing failed, rear shocks failed, exhaust and other things, which I put right as I enjoyed messing around with cars, before it succumbed to rust. But I still look back fondly at having it, even though it only did 22mpg.
Whereas now, if even the slightest thing goes wrong I am mightily peeved.
I had an 80s Beta 5 door hatch type thing. Ironically, rust wasnt the issue with it although corrosion was....anything alloy on it (brake calipers particually ) corroded like the clappers. I didn't have it a year, never had any other issues with it and it was already well used (In other words, a banger).
Leylands get a lot of mention, yes they rusted , some more than others but generally they were so basic, they just kept going.
1961 mini, brought it circa 1976, rust wasnt a big worry, it was bodily ok.
1965 mini countryman, brought circa 1976, ditto.
Morris / Austin 1100, a banger when I brought it...subframe made more noise than the engine.
Allegro, another banger, no real rust issues.
Marina, another banger, ditto.
Mini van, another banger, rotten throughout.
Maestro, brought when quite new, rotted out in about 6 or 7 yeasr.

Some Leylands were ok. I remember going to look at a Datsun 120y I think, a banger granted....rotten throughout. Walked from that one. Renault 5, looked at one for my brother, walked away, rotten.
We all love to slate Leylands and their like for some reason, but foreign cars of the same era didn't fare too much better.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Isn't it actually one of skippy's bikes ? 👅

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Back in the early 80s I had a Marina van as company transport, I went to collect it after a service at the local BL dealership. It wasn't ready so took a look around the showroom, all Metros, Allegras and Princesses, all brand new, all with drip trays underneath. :wacko:
I've heard stories of those new cars being pressure washed after delivery with the paint coming straight off.

Top Bottom