Nanocell TV vibrant colours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I just saw an advert on TV for a new type of TV, a nanocell type. They showed how the colours on regular TVs (like my one) are worse than the ones on the nanocell TV. And those colours on the nanocell TV sure looked great.

But they looked great while being advertised on *my* TV so it go the wondering if those awesome colours look so great on my TV, then what's the point of me getting a nanocell TV.

Idk why the marketing people don't get that or am I missing something?

classic33

Leg End Member
Just think what the same advert must look like on one of their TV's though.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think they must enhance the colours so as to replicate the better picture.
Obviously you will want to see the difference yourself so I imagine anyone wanting to buy would want see it in the flesh before buying.

postman

Legendary Member
We were in Costco two weeks ago.I drooled over a 65" Sony Bravis Oled tv,the picture was stunning never seen anything like it.Shame there are so many crap progs at the moment.But sports and the TdF would look superb.

D

Deleted member 26715

We were in Costco two weeks ago.I drooled over a 65" Sony Bravis Oled tv,the picture was stunning never seen anything like it.Shame there are so many crap progs at the moment.But sports and the TdF would look superb.
We were in the Sheffield branch about 6 weeks ago, I think it was either a 88" or a 90" which looked amazing, but it wasn't showing a TV show, it was clearly some special wildlife clip filmed specifically to show off the TV's best features.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
OLED TVs and phones of course do have a very good display but this new Nano cell technology is claimed to do the same but at a lower price.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I heard a rumour that TV showrooms deliberately de-tune the TVs that they can easily sell so that the less popular ones look good. I've no idea if it's true.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once visited a huge TV factory in Jaszbereny, Hungary where they made TVs for Panasonic, Samsung and two others. The production manager confirmed my belief that the different brands are all the same under the skin. When I asked him which one he would choose he replied: "Very little to choose but I like Samsung".

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
'Awesome colour' = 'Unnaturally boosted colour'! It's the reason why many people's TVs look crap - they are set up to look incredibly sharp and over-vibrant in stores and many people never adjust them.

Just look at people's faces. We know what faces should appear like since we spend so much of our lives looking at them. If the faces on the TV look natural*** then the colour reproduction, contrast, sharpness and brightness settings must be about right. All decent modern TVs should be able to pass that test.

My Samsung model got good reviews but the picture was terrible when I first tried it. I searched on the web for suggested settings and set it up that way - it was a HUGE improvement. I subtly tweaked those settings after a week or two of viewing and haven't needed to touch them since.

*** Assuming that the face in question would look natural in real life... If someone is plastered in makeup or fake tan then they are going to look weird no matter how you adjust your set!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My Samsung model got good reviews but the picture was terrible when I first tried it. I searched on the web for suggested settings and set it up that way - it was a HUGE improvement. I subtly tweaked those settings after a week or two of viewing and haven't needed to touch them since.

On 'Standard', Samsungs turn everything hi-viz; 'Movie', as you say, makes a vast improvement.

Top Bottom