Napoleon's tactics at Waterloo - the post mortem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
blah blah blah blah...
...In my opinion, four principal causes led to this disaster: The first, and most influential, was the arrival, skilfully combined, of Blücher, and the false movement that favoured this arrival, the second was the admirable firmness of the British infantry, joined to the sang-froid and aplomb of its chiefs; the third, was the horrible weather, that had softened the ground, and rendered the offensive movements so toilsome, and retarded till one o'clock the attack that should have been made in the morning; the fourth, was the inconceivable formation of the first corps, in masses very much too deep for the first grand attack.
I rest my case.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think his mistake was not reacting quickly enough to enemy advances. Once he saw that they were gaining an advantage he should have jumped down off his horse, run across to the enemy lines brandishing his gold-encrusted sword, and defeated them single-handed.

Ajay

Veteran
Yes, but if he'd deployed the Imperial Guard earlier in the day to chase down the breakaway......(snorzzzzzzzzz)

I think his mistake was not reacting quickly enough to enemy advances.

... and allegedly not reacting to Josephine's advances?

if it wasn't for richard sharpe, napoleon would have done alreet

Richard Sharpe left army after Waterloo and did not in fact retire happily ever after to an idyllic country existence... that was a cover for the real story

article-1326359124985-0F6AD30000000578-630654_466x674.jpg

Richard Sharpe is now Josephine!

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
To be fair, I don't believe you've ever commanded Her Majesty's Armed Forces or been exiled to a small island off the west coast of Italy, so I'd like to know your credentials for posting this?

They were never going to attack properly up the slope to the sunken road, they should have done more on the flat. They made too much of a meal of the farm at Hugomount. There was also a very clear lack of a blan p, which further highlighted that NB was tactically past his sell-by date.

Top Bottom