Napoleon's tactics at Waterloo - the post mortem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the reason for Boney's demise is simple. He forgot his helmet
boney.jpg

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
To be fair, I don't believe you've ever commanded Her Majesty's Armed Forces or been exiled to a small island off the west coast of Italy, so I'd like to know your credentials for posting this?

They were never going to attack properly up the slope to the sunken road, they should have done more on the flat. They made too much of a meal of the farm at Hugomount. There was also a very clear lack of a blan p, which further highlighted that NB was tactically past his sell-by date.
What you say has some substance to it - did you ever play county standard ludo?
FWIW, I have played rummy at the highest level - 24th floor of the Hyatt Hilton in Monterrey, since you ask.

perplexed

Guru
Napoleon's biggest mistake was in being too nationalistic.

He should have swallowed his pride and taken on Mr. Brailsford as a mercenary.

And put "special" wheels on his carts...

A lot of you are making a ver big assumption boutthe British Armed Forces.

Experience and ability was never actually relevant, Military success was dictatd by large tracts of land, large assets and who you knew at Horseguards

What was the quote about WW1

"Lions led by Donkeys"

Rob88

Retired, demented
Well done Rich P senior vice president promote yourself to field marshal. I must compliment you on your detective work. I could have made my user name more obscure but some Surrey hillbilly would have grassed me up eventually.
You see when you have a strong hand and take the initiative, the whole pack can be made to dance to your tune. Rather like road racing really, guile and bluff and audacity are important, otherwise the thick testers would win all the time.

the admirable firmness of the British infantry

Somewhat lacking in this image?

boney.jpg

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
on the grounds that my task for the month is to get this little marvel on to every board on the forum, and Rich has offered me the best chance yet for this particular board, I have to say that Boney's problem was that he didn't have James Bond on his side...
Sean+Connery.jpe

Noodley

Looks like Connery is heading out for a regular night oot in Leith.

And anyway, where was richp when we were all speaking about waterloo in the build up when we were putting forward our views and hypothesising about tactics and how he should play it, eh? Not fecking here, that's for sure! And as for that Marshall Ney, I always said he was a queer sort...you can tell from his eyes.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
What you say has some substance to it - did you ever play county standard ludo?

To be fair, no. I did enjoy a decent stretch as Undisputed Family Champion over the summer of 1989 (until nan cottoned onto doubling), but I must confess I ditched that career in favour of an (ill-fated) attempt at breaking into the bright lights of the Mouse Trap scene.

Liked for bringing up a board game I had completely forgotten about!

Clearly had Grouchy used his brain and followed the sound of canon fire he would have prevented or delayed the Prussians. Instead of following the break he merely stuck to the original plan.

One Le Hay-Saint farm fell it was over for the British as the centre of their ranks was broken... had Grouchy's men appeared on Napoleon's right flank, instead of Blucher (neigh) then it would have been the end for the dastardly Wellington. Instead of the peloton rejoining it was split further by the breakaway Prussians.

Napoleon spent most of the battle away from the field, allowing Ney to direct the action... he was the bravest of the brave, but also the stupidest of the stupid... cavalry charges unsupported by infantry? what was he thinking? the men were out front and vulnerable, no one rode to help them.

Top Bottom