"Narrow Lane. Do not Overtake Cyclists"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Encouraging:okay::smile:

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

It's not just the roundabout they are doing. But the whole area regeneration.
I do have a particularly narrow manner of describing things don't I? They've been at this for years now right? I think the cycle "superhighway" was supposed to be part of it, although I seem to recall they cancelled the part which would link Lewisham to New Cross, stating that they would add it 'at some point'.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I do have a particularly narrow manner of describing things don't I? They've been at this for years now right? I think the cycle "superhighway" was supposed to be part of it, although I seem to recall they cancelled the part which would link Lewisham to New Cross, stating that they would add it 'at some point'.
That's correct. TfL had a look at the New Cross gyratory and realised that there was no way they could make it ''safe'' or protected enough to be called a superhighway. So they abandoned it at New Cross Gate with some clearer cycle lane infrastructure on the run in to Lewisham after New Cross.

On the no overtaking cyclists thing, last time I went through there was a sign under the arches between where Snowsfield Street begins and Tooley Street. I've seen electronic signs with the same message at other places in Tooley Street when there's been roadworks going on.

Stephen C

Über Member
Roadworks warning outside Lewisham Police Station in the direction of London, it appears they're redoing that roundabout.

Are they learning? No "cyclists dismount"?
They have the same signs in Cambridge where they are putting cycleway along Hills Road, very encouraging especially as there is still a cycle path that cyclist could be diverted onto.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The grammar Nazi thread is that way <----- :okay:

Indeed, the original sign near our office for similar roadworks was
"no overtaking cyclists" which a misplaced comma could destroy the meaning of. As long as all the cyclist ride in single file then there is nothing to worry about^_^

subaqua

What’s the point
That's correct. TfL had a look at the New Cross gyratory and realised that there was no way they could make it ''safe'' or protected enough to be called a superhighway. So they abandoned it at New Cross Gate with some clearer cycle lane infrastructure on the run in to Lewisham after New Cross.

On the no overtaking cyclists thing, last time I went through there was a sign under the arches between where Snowsfield Street begins and Tooley Street. I've seen electronic signs with the same message at other places in Tooley Street when there's been roadworks going on.

not a TfL invention , but a suggestion from a cyclist who might just possibly work for a major building contractor in the city ( and greater London area) and it has been picked up by others through collaborative meetings.

change comes from within .

EthelF

Rain God
Now if only there were some way to teach the motons how to read.
2 days ago, riding up Denmark Hill, the cycle lane is closed for roadworks, the sign reads "Narrow Lanes, Do Not Overtake Cyclists", so naturally three cars in a row do precisely this, far too close, squeezing a bunch of cyclists towards the bollards.

Top Bottom