National 24hr at Mersey Roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I was up there supporting number 40, Rimas Grigenas, at the weekend. Good result for him with 484 miles & 5th place, despite the heat. Robbie Mitchell won with 521. Chris Murray broke the women's record with a pretty incredible 490 miles. Several riders packed because of the heat, including Mike Broadwith.
There's always a good atmosphere at this event, including this year, even with covid rules in place.
Provisional results:
View: https://twitter.com/MerseyRoads24/status/1417124099302756357/photo/1

T4tomo

Guru
I do find it incredible that these "beasts" ride at over or close to 20mph average for 24 hours straight, especially in that heat. I did 100km on Sunday, considerably slower and was pretty tired, I probably did more hills though :okay:, I imagine its a pretty flat course to help keep the distances high.

:notworthy: amazing feats of endurance..

I do find it incredible that these "beasts" ride at over or close to 20mph average for 24 hours straight, especially in that heat. I did 100km on Sunday, considerably slower and was pretty tired, I probably did more hills though :okay:, I imagine its a pretty flat course to help keep the distances high.

:notworthy: amazing feats of endurance..
It's not pan-flat, more a gentle undulation. Nowhere near as fast as the quicker 10/25 courses, but faster than most interesting scenic leisure routes.

But still, that's 21.7mph* for 24h. Imagine coming back from an hour's ride and realising you couldn't keep up their speed for just 1 hour :O

(My PB is more like 16mph, as you asked :P )

Top Bottom