National Blood Service - they are sounding rather desperate!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barq

I've moaned about this before, but I'm not allowed to donate on account of being gay. Doesn't matter how safe I've been, or that unlike most people I know my HIV -ve status. I suppose I could lie, but I really shouldn't have to.

Maz

Guru
Last time I went to give blood I failed the blood-iron test as I was recovering from a cold. Left the centre with my tail between my legs...I bet the other punters thought I got a dose of the clap or summat.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'll give some after my last 'cross race and before the season proper starts. Always slows me down for a couple weeks.

longers

Legendary Member
I got an invite yesterday, I'm 0+ (the most common I think) and they included a leaflet explaining how short of the most common blood type they are. I'll be doing it at the beginning of Feb.

Maz

Guru
longers said:
I got an invite yesterday, I'm 0+ (the most common I think) and they included a leaflet explaining how short of the most common blood type they are. I'll be doing it at the beginning of Feb.
Good for you, longers. Just take it easy on the ride back. Plenty of fluids etc.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm going to take the afternoon off work and will walk there and back, last time I rode back from a session I got a fair bit of leakage and whole forearm bruising.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I am too chicken...... I've given a pint once....got tested (i.e. the quick blade nip), went rather pale...sent away...I came back a bit later and gave some......just....

Then found out it makes you a bit slower racing.....haven't been back, and I haven't raced for years..... not too keen on big spikey things...........

I am a wimp......

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Update: Got two more phonecalls of them today, that makes 3 while I was at home and possibly a few more after I've left...apparently they have a problem with the computer system. Wonder where there call centre is, all 3 sounded very american.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
User3143 said:
I get letters and texts all the time because I am O neg as well. Great? that our blood can be given to anyone but we can only receive O neg. I really must donate though, if only for the cheese sandwich and chocolate bourbons that you can have after donation.

Cheese sandwich??? Was never offered one of them.... :biggrin: Got a lidl easter egg last april tho...

Night Train

Maker of Things
I used to donate when work had the mobile donor lorry visit. I must see if I can get college to do a mass donation with a mobile service.

I worked for an organisation once where we regularly donated. The CE would always go and then faint afterwards during the tea and biscuits.

dudi

I was booked in to be bled in December bbut didn't make it in the end... before that I'd done almost every session I was allowed since I started.

** just checked their website and they have a blood letting session at my old school on Friday. maybe I'l pop along **

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I used to go to the North London donation centre behind Edgware general Hospital. After the donation you could get sandwiches, biscuits, fruit, Guinness, various fruit juices, tea and coffee. I had to stop going because after nearly 25 years the veins in my arms had scarred so that it was harder to get the needle into the veins and was getting a bit painful. I still have my booklet with all the certificates in. In total I gave 120 pints of A Pos.

gratts said:
IMO people should be paid for giving blood, not even huge dollars, just enough, then there wouldn't be a shortage.
Thats how the heamopheliacs (I think thats how you spell it) in America caught AIDs because thier blood tranfusion service paid for blood and every Tom, Dick and HIV positive person donated blood for a few dollars.

Top Bottom