National Blood Service - they are sounding rather desperate!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Missed my blood donation session in December, due to being on holiday, then there was one last Monday, couldn't make that due to work, since then I've had two phonecalls from them saying could I come and donate please...next one is in February apparently.

Starting to feel rather guilty that I couldn't make the last two!!! But what is going on, they are never in Preston once a month! Stocks must be running really low... (not sure if me being O neg has anything to do with it).

Is anybody else being contacted???

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I got out of the habit of giving when they introduced appointments and I sat there like a charlie while everyone else with foresight got bled first. They pestered me for a month or two then gave up. I really ought to get back into it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to go regularly until they tightened up the rules and refused my blood because I go to Africa regularly on business. This is annoying because a deserving patient is denied my good healthy blood thanks to the stupid assumptions that:

A - I shag around like some of the other dirty barstewards I see in hotels in Africa.

and even if I did.....

B - AIDS is a disease you catch from one unfortunate accident or act of unprotected sex.

Shaun

Founder
My wife gave blood for years then was forced to stop.

They introduced a new rule that said you had to be able to climb onto the bed unaided. If you couldn't do it, you couldn't give blood.

The rule didn't seem to take account of people with disabilities and because my wife couldn't get onto the bed unaided, she therefore had to stop giving blood.

She's really miffed about it too, but they won't allow her an exemption, so they miss out on some readily available good blood stock.

I'm not sure what the new rule achieves (stops poorly or pissed-up people giving blood?) but in my wife's case it has only served to deny the National Blood Service, and the respective needy patients, a good few pints!!

Cheers,
Shaun :blush:

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
That does seem rather harsh!

She might be allowed back now, they have relaxed quite a few of the rules, like people being treated for high blood pressure can now donate, age limit has been dropped, etc.

wafflycat

They won't have my blood anymore either. Why? When giving birth in the late 80s, I was given some blood. Apparently this makes mine unacceptable, even though I'm of a blood type they particularly want.

surfgurl

I've just been on the blood donation website as you reminded me this is something I should be doing. You can check their levels of stock.

http://www.blood.co.uk/StockGraph/stocklevelstandard.aspx

Chris James

Über Member
Punkypossum, they are badgering you because you are O neg.

My wife and I donate blood, I am O+ and she is O-. They regularly phone her, but never phone me!

1LegRikk

This is something I keep meaning todo especially as I have a rare blood type but being absolutely scared $hitless of needless I always wimp out :blush:

A

another_dave_b

punkypossum said:
But what is going on, they are never in Preston once a month! Stocks must be running really low

I've got vague memory of a recent news story that survival rates are affected by the 'freshness' of donated blood. Perhaps they've changed their shelf life requirements?

Shaun

Founder
Update: Just phoned TNBS and the rule about being able to get on the bed yourself is a health and safety rule!

postman

Legendary Member
I have a silver badge for donating somewhere here at home.The centre was only two streets away from work.At Royal Mail we were allowed time out from work to donate.Big clap for that.As a leader of a team of charity volunteers six or more of us used to go together.Then they closed it down.And i had two minor knee ops.And i understood you could not donate after surgery.It is a worthwhile thing to do.

Maz

Guru
Rigid Raider said:
A - I shag around like some of the other dirty barstewards I see in hotels in Africa.

B - AIDS is a disease you catch from one unfortunate accident or act of unprotected sex.
I always wondered what these blood groups stood for.

Top Bottom