National Express boss "Biggest danger to cyclists is themselves"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
"The way in which many, many, many of them ride one is surprised that in fact the number of accidents is not far larger because it is an entirely different way of cycling to which you see in many other cities," Armitt, who is also Chairman of the National Express Group added"

Many, many, many?..so how many is that Mr Armitt., compared to the many, many,many, many,many,many,many that are sensible, responsible and not at fault for others lack of awareness.

On my ride the percentage of errant riders is...in my estimation...very low when compared to the million (no idea of the actual figure) a week that ride through town.

I am of the opinion that few can tarnish the many...but that doesn't condone collective "blame".

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
He's got every right to express his opinion and from the persepctive of a professional driver, he's got a very good point. Do you aim to censor him?
It's not about censorship.

It's about ensuring people with a public voice...and responsibility (not the brands of the world) get their facts right and don't put out personal opinions that are simply not correct.

Of course he is welcome to his opinion but it is his job to ensure that his public message is correct.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Drago

Legendary Member
The problem is that this chap is artificially creating his own perspective. His very own company has a vast and publicly documented history of speeding, drink driving, rule breaking, killer drivers. Theres a good argument to suggest that to relatively poor salary the firm officers does not attract the cream of the professional driving crop, and of the few nuggets they do hire they feel compelled to drive like Atilla the Hun on speed because of the ridiculous schedules they are forced to try and keep. Despite thos overwhelming poor and very public safety record of his own employees this guy feels its appropriate to selectively ignore all this and blame the cyclist.

Of course he will, because he is in business to make money. He can not therefore be trusted to give an unbiased or realistic assessment of the situation, and he clearly has not.

There is no doubt that some, nay, many cyclists ride like organ-donors in waiting, but that doesn't alter the fact that this guys own company is responsible themselves for some pretty unpleasant and completely avoidable road deaths.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well you're right of course, not all professional drivers are the paragons of care, patience and tolerance that their employers would have us believe.

When I was much younger most of my holiday jobs were driving vans and, for one job, three ton trucks with air brakes. When I jumped into a van I underwent a similar change in mentality that I think some cyclists undergo: I didn't care a damn about the vehicle and every rule of the road was there to be broken. I often drove recklessly and took risks because that was what van drivers did. I was king of the road in my big vehicle and didn't mind bullying smaller vehicles. When I got my first three ton truck driving job I was completely unprepared for the size of the vehicle and the sharpness of the air brakes. The staff agency who employed me told me it was "van driving" but when I arrived at the depot and admitted I'd never driven a 3 tonner, the transport manager groaned and told me: "You'll have an accident in the first week!" Within the first week I had two or three close misses and and one embarrassing "interface" with some scaffolding at Stafford General Infirmary that could have caused a big accident, all due to my inexperience. Driving that vehicle around, doing deliveries, was the most exhausting job I've ever done in my life. Had a cyclist sneaked up on my left at a traffic light I might well have squashed him because I hadn't had any training or experience and my head was full of distractions. How many drivers are there like this on the roads? Do cyclists realise? What allowance do they make for this kind of driver?

As I wrote above, it cuts both ways.

Top Bottom